jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

What do you know about being a living kidney donor? Do you have a personal expe

1. annasmom profile image79
    annasmomposted 23 months ago

What do you know about being a living kidney donor?  Do you have a personal experience to share?

I am in the process of attempting to donate a kidney to a friend with polycystic kidney disease.  Any and all information regarding your experience with this is appreciated!

2. ElvisaM profile image80
    ElvisaMposted 23 months ago

No personal experience but I know a little about it because I have been on the organ donor list for years now. First they will evaluate your overall health. Then they do blood work to ensure your blood type matches your friends so his/her body does not reject your kidney. Then, you go through more testing and assessments (EKG scans, xrays,) including psych evaluation. After that,you go through the education sessions where you take a quick class on kidney donation and you learn about the procedure and hear testimonies as well as find out the billing aspect of this procedure. More tests, more discussions, more tests. If your friend and yourself are lucky enough, you will finally after all the grueling work and several months of tests be heading for surgery. I think they speed up the process by only a little if it is an emergency. This will literally take two to three months or more. I really admire your decision and I think you are a wonderful person for what you are doing. Best of luck to you and your friend.

1. ElvisaM profile image80
      ElvisaMposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Search for Living Kidney Donor in your state and you should be able to call and speak to someone directly.

2. annasmom profile image79
      annasmomposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Elvisa, I have had the initial round of testing done.  I am trying to donate to a friend I made on Facebook.  I have the same blood type as she does. I had my mammogram and colonoscopy done in my hometown, but had to drive to Chicago for more tests.

working