Anti-Depressants - WTF???

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Over ten years ago I was diagnosed with Depression and prescribed medications. 

Within 6 months I had gained somewhere between 100-200 lbs.  I have no idea on actual weight gained, I don't own a scale - but I know my waist went from 32 to somewhere over 40 and when I sat down my belly was a mere 2-3 inches from reaching my knees. 

I lost a lot of my cognitive skills, reasoning, logic, short-term memory, vocabulary.

To this day I continue to struggle with these issues.  My question is:

WHY and HOW do medical professionals think the treatment or cure for Depression can be found by screwing me up for life??

Any thoughts/comments?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you had a terrible psychiatrist.  S/he should have immediately switched you to a different medication, if you were having these sorts of side effects.  There are a lot of meds out there, and everyone reacts to them differently, so it can take quite a few tries before finding the right one.

Were you in therapy at the time?  Had you been in therapy for a while, or were the drugs just sprung on you from the start?  A good psychiatrist will not reach for the prescription pad until other options have been exhausted.

Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, I was in therapy during that time (just started)  my psychiatrist did change the meds almost every month or so.  I think it was something like 4-5 different meds tried before I said NO MORE!

2. LaVieja profile image59
      LaViejaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think its anything personal! However, some professionals are very quick to prescribe drugs and ignore other possible treatments. It could be that they haven't found the right one for you, or perhaps the right dosage. My sister has depression and she is also on drugs, but is now considering coming off them. They have worked for her but she also had counselling and I think that has been the key to it for her. I am sorry you have had such a bad experience and hope it gets easier soon.

Thank you.  The past 2 years my depression has almost lifted completely (without meds or any more therapy)  It just drives me crazy to still have the side-effects!

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Does the medication make your depression bearable?

Was it unbearable?  Do you feel you have benefited from the medication or has it made your life worst due to increased depression because of the side effects of the meds?

it made it unbearable.  I actually quit taking the meds after 1 year, then went on/off for about 5 years after that.  3 1/2 years ago I quit meds altogether.

3. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

Rafini...I was given Ativan and Effexor XR 150mg. when going through Cancer treatments...I could not get off of these pills to save my life...I would become violently ill, the biggest beeatch, painful withdrawls...oh...went from a size 10 to a size 16 and I am now in a size 5 and on no drugs of any kind

I did it the natural way...it was flippin hard, but I would love to email you with a diet that might help you lose the weight, get you out of the depression and get you off those pills. 

I know how you feel...I have been off all pills since August of 2009 and I have never felt better and at my best.

1. caravalhophoto profile image60
      caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

okay, don't know why I didn't see your post that you are off the pills, right on...let me know if I can help with your diet. smile

the diet would be appreciated - Thanks. smilesmile

2. Sara Tonyn profile image61
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Effexor is pure HELL. I went through lengthy, horrible withdrawal when I had to stop taking it due to some side effects. I swear I didn't think I'd make it.

NEVER, ever again will I EVER use Effexor.

The bad news: I'm taking Cymbalta now and though it's helping, I've read about Effexor-type horror stories concerning withdrawal.

On the positive side Effexor works great for some people and they have no prob getting off of it when the time comes.

You just never know how you'll react to any medication.

I have a general idea, cuz I'm sensitive to just about everything.  I remember taking some sleeping pill (prescribed) at the lowest dose possible and cutting it in half but it still caused me to sleep 12+ hours every day and stuck with me for a few years.

2. Ann Nonymous profile image62
        Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seriously? Awhile ago my doctor prescribed Effexor to me thinking I was depressed and I haven't started taking it yet as it's just another pill to pop and knowing that depression is not always solved through meds depending on the root of the issue.
        So glad though that I have read your account, Sara, as the last thing I want to feel is the terrible adverse side effects you mention when I already supposedly have depression!
        And Rafini I am just like you...way to sensitive to medications!!!!!!!

4. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

on the street anti-depressants are called "soul suckers". Glad to hear your off 'em smile

smile smile smile

5. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

With that kind of weight gain and side effects, if you reported this to your doctor, the medication should have been changed. That is not normal. Most antidepressants (SSRI inhibitors) have some side effects, but what you describe is unusual.

The goal is not to "screw somebody up for life" but to create a more stable thought process in order to develop new coping skills for life. Some people can get off of antidepressants after some time. I am an example.

I've had some weight gain, like maybe 5-10 lbs over time from Prozac and Luvox, but never like you report. Please speak to your doctor about this. It's not healthy. Plus, you need to have your medications regulated.

hhhmmm  - i wonder if I have created a more stable thought process?  (interesting, I'm glad you mentioned it!! - something more for me to think about!! lol)

6. nightnday profile image59
    nightndayposted 14 years ago

Hi there:) I've been managing my bipolar condition with bouts of depression for over 12 years.  I've taken over 15 different meds.  It takes time, patience and different docs to find working combos.  It has also taken med switches over the years. 

There is still a lot we don't understand about mental illness.  Unfortunately, there is a lot of trial and error. But benefits should out-weigh the side-effects. 

I can relate VERY well.  I took lithium for years, which made me lose cognitive skills.  I'd read a page 5 times before absorbing things.  I'd forget words mid-sentence.

If you can manage w/out meds, through diet, exercise and therapy tools, of course that is ideal!  But for people who have suicidal thoughts or can't function well, there is nothing wrong with using meds for support.  Depression has to do with brain chemistry.  It's okay to use a wheelchair when you can't walk (one of my fav. analogies, lol).

Do what feels best, but check in with a doctor to keep you from anything dangerous.  Luck!

7. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh68/D3STRUKT0R/drugsrbad.jpg

1. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What was the pic of Storm??

8. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

It's from a stupid show called South Park...He's a teacher on the show...always saying drugs are bad mmmmkay...damn can't remember his name???

1. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol Storm would have been a great one to see. smile

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its Mr. Mackey he is the guidance councilor smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)