The Human Condition

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image60
    A.Villarasaposted 13 years ago

For  some  humans, life has become boringly routine, but for others, the  daily grind of surviving the harshest of realities has become  unbearably unpristine.  So which kind would you rather live?

1. kallini2010 profile image79
      kallini2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You create your own reality.  It is not so hard to be happy, the hardest part is to realize that you are in control of how you feel.

Am I happy?  I am so stuck, yet, I am hopeful, because I realize that my happiness is my responsibility, nobody can make me happy.  Nobody but I.

Routine, habits?  There is an expression that "habits are given to us from above, they are a substitute for happiness."  I agree, yet I believe in being proactive.  If you ask the question, if your routine(s), your rut no longer satisfy you, I would assume it is the beginning of the end of those routines.

A.Villarasaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You post excellent observations specially about being in control of  your feelings, but I would like to put my own caveats. Total control of our emotions is obviously what we all aim for, but  we must always be wary and in fact cognizant of the fact that control may become illusory or worse delusional.

I fully agree that  we are  responsible for our own happiness; however on days when we find  ourselves in the "dump",  good friends and a bar of dark chocolate( with all theirs endorphin releasing powers) could minimize or ease the "pain".

Habits/routines  are just that,  they give us a sense of calm   and continuity, but nothing more. Which does not give much comfort to those who have never known and experienced peace and tranquility in their lifetime ( i.e. the poverty/war  stricken people in sub-saharan africa). On the other hand are the hedonists amongst us who are never quite satisfied with their lot  so  they continue to pursue "happiness" whatever the cost might be to their psyche or  their pocketbooks.

I agree that happiness is a tricky business.  It is hard to generalize or it is, in fact,  easier to generalize or  to make "one size fits all" conclusions.

When I was expressing thoughts on the subject I was referring to the hubpages community.  People from the developed countries with the internet access, knowledge of English, educated.

If you ask me whether I want to live in rural Africa that is plagued with war, hunger, disease, ...  Well, you don't even need to ask.

The trickiest part of happiness is that we take what we have for granted.  One simple example.  I looked up your profile, you are a doctor, so are my parents.

Health is the most important factor for the quality of life.  I don't have it.  When I was born, I was the kind of child that was not meant to survive.  It was the country, the medical care and mostly my parents who made my existence possible.  Life is a struggle for me.  Low blood pressure and the next to nothing level of energy.  Am I happy?  I understand that good health is not a given.

On top of that, I have a bipolar disorder.  Most of my life I was depressed with the first episode at the age of ten.  Moods seem to define existence and it is so hard to distinguish where moods end and I begin.  It took me such a long time.  I don't take anything for granted anymore.

But on bad days...  Am I being comforted?   I do crave comfort, support, but I rarely get it, therefore I tend to turn to other sources.  Physical exercise, well, mostly dancing for me.  I love it.

That is what I meant.  Most people still believe that either someone MUST come and make them happy, or they are just unaware of their own limitless resources.  Habits?  It depends on what kind of habits.  Make good ones and they will provide the backbone of your happier future.

Wishing everybody to have better days & lots of chocolate!

Thanks your thoughtful replay. I do empathize with your daily struggles due to medical conditions that were beyond your control. I have seen several of my patients have similar issues, and I know how difficult it is for them to go through the daily grind... but nothing that a good family and friends cound not assuage at least in part.

Please don't take my initial comments to your post as an affront---they were not meant to be.

I was not taking it as an affront.  I was thinking.  There is a Russian expression "to comprehend and rethink (or to re-comprehend) life experiences".  My ex used to make fun of me because I thought too much.

But I truly believe that life experiences without comprehension are useless.
              So, I was JUST thinking...

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I Live The Ordained ...
      For there is little, I can do, but Live, The Ordination.

Perplexing thoughts... care to elaborate?

3. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Villa:
      What do you mean "unpristine?"

The word doesn't exist in English.

I understand "pristine.

" ( pris·tine (prstn, pr-stn)
      adj.
      a. Remaining in a pure state; uncorrupted by civilization.
      b. Remaining free from dirt or decay; clean: pristine mountain snow.
      2. Of, relating to, or typical of the earliest time or condition; primitive or original

What thought are you trying to convey when you use the undefineable term "unpristine/"
      Ty.
      Qwark

Hello Qwark:

I should have consulted you ( the compleat dictionary that you are) when  I typed the word un-pristine, but  was so jet-lagged  to bother.

Life  on earth  has ,  as you know,  become very messy, and chaotic, and  corrupt and dirty. It  has  become not  only un-primitive(oops is there such a word) but consumptive as well.

In the general context of the topic I posted, you know that you know what  I meant by the word.

1. qwark profile image60

Villa: Nope I sure haven't figured it out yet..NP
          Forget it...smile:
          Qwark

2. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

un-pristine would mean not being in the original state - a major cause of unhappiness - it is the well documented state of life that has no home because it is always trying to get back to a non-existent origin - always unhappy because it can't get back home.

Happiness is being at home with yourself, comfortable with who you are - and although the OP says it is not about religion it clearly is.  It is religious indoctrination that instils yearning for the unattainable and is part of why the religious folk here are clearly so unhappy and uninformed.

1. qwark profile image60

Thanks China:
          I understood that and agree with what you say.
          A mundane response didn't seem to interest me.
          Have a good evening....smile:
          Qwark

2. A.Villarasa profile image60

Hello China Man:

So how is the orient treating  you lately? Hopefully well.

Your anti-religion  rantings  is so totally not you... or is it? A pity that a post about the current  sad/happy  affairs of  humanity  you  interpret as having some religious  derivation. Nothing mundane about that one so I guess, Qwark liked your explanation more than the one I gave him.

2. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

As long as I have my mug of cocoa life is good. smile

3. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

Sorry you feel that way.  We are pretty happy here.  Pass the chocolate please.

1. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Two scoops of regular to one scoop of cherry flavor! smile

2. A.Villarasa profile image60

Happiness is what everyone should aim for, but sometimes, no matter how much one tries, it just doesn't come as easily as it does for others. In situations where one finds himelf devoid of any reason to smile or laugh about, the company of good friends ( and of course chocolate) could assuage the pain. Friends and chocolate, now that's what I would call  two major endorphin releasers.

4. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

Abraham Lincoln once said that "Most folk are about as happy as they make up their minds to be..."

A statement that should be taken in the context of President Lincoln's reported  "depression" all throughout his presidency. Understandably,  managing a  civil war could be a downer on anybody's psyche.

5. jantamaya profile image60
    jantamayaposted 13 years ago

More chocolate please! smile Life is a big cup of delicious chocolademelk (this is Dutch for cocoa). smile Enjoy it!

6. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Unfortunately, medical trumps all.neutral

7. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Happiness is subjective. I prefer good company, hot chocolate, warmth and laughter. My ex-husband much preferred things, objects, money.

I suppose he believes he has everything - in terms of financial reward. I have nothing comparatively - other than what I mentioned (intangibles). Who's the happiest?

Hard to say. I know I'm happy.

Thanks for dropping by.... this is neutral  territory for both of us ( religion or non-religion be damned), so I'm glad that we at least agree on some things. I know I tend to be a bit rascally/prickly when I am defending my faith and belief systems, but that is just who I am.

2. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not column A. Not column B. I like column C. Everyday is a mystery, a new adventure,  a new revelation. I live in a dynamic place that always has a new surprise, just around the corner, a perfect place which runs perpetually, whether I pay attention or not. Cause and effect. No accidents, and no coincidences. Straight up Domino Theory.

"No Accidents,  and no coincidences".   But always with consequences. Any movement that does not cause any  effect is just noise... and we all know what happens to noise... it  dissipates  into the ether and never echo and re-echo- and re-echo.

8. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

If  I could just kill that creature inside me, I could be happy...http://www.pic4ever.com/images/89.gif

HomeGirl:

Actually there is more to life than being happy. Jus ask,  Marcus Aurelius,  the supreme stoic, if there ever was one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)