How to prevent kids from getting a cold
How To Keep Your Child From Catching A Cold?
Does your child catch a cold frequently?
Research has shown that kids get about 8 colds a year and that it is the #1 reason why kids stay away from school. No wonder it is called the common cold. It can be quite trying to take care of the child who is cranky because he is not well.
What ways are effective to prevent kids from getting a cold? When they do catch a cold how best to recover from it?
What Causes A Cold
Colds are caused by viruses and not bacteria. There are a few hundred different strains of virus which is why it is difficult to develop a vaccine against it. The virus attack the nose and throat triggering the immune system. It can cause a sore throat and headache.
How To Prevent Your Child From Catching A Cold
1. The best cold cure and prevention is to boost the immune system. Frequent colds, flu and even tiredness indicate the immune system is weakening. Give them a quality multi vitamin and mineral.
2. Teach them to cover their noses and mouths when sneezing to prevent the spreading of the germs.
3. Wash hands with soap often especially after blowing the nose.
4. Stay away from people who smoke or are having a cold. Virus can travel up to 12 feet through the air when someone sneezes.
5. Encourage a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables. They are a rich source of immune boosting nutrients. It has been recommended for children to consume 5 or more servings of fresh fruits and vegetables.
6. Avoid giving kids sugary drinks and sodas. It can lead to obesity and also depletion of calcium in the body.
7. Get your child to do regular exercise like walking and playing outdoor games. Exercise will build up immune cells in the body.
Usanimals To Prevent Kids From Catching Cold Often
Kids need vitamins to boost immune system
Is your child eating the recommended 5 servings or more of fruits and vegetables (french fries not included)?
Pound for pound, a 5 year old child who is growing needs more Vitamins A, E, C, Vitamins B6, B12, calcium, zinc and a whole range of other nutrients compared to a 25 year old man. If he is not getting these vital nutrients from his food then a children supplement need to be considered to help boost his immune system and general good health.
Usanimals include large doses of Vitamin C and E needed by kids to ward off the cold. It also contain an antioxidant phytonutrient blend of blackberry, cranberry, raspberry and wild blueberry fruit powders. Only natural sweeteners and flavors are used.
Suitable for children ages 13 months to 12 years
Retail Price: US$15.35 for 56 chewable tablets
What To Do When Your Child Gets The Cold
1. Give your child a hot drink. It helps soothe sore throat and coughs as well as clear mucus. Stay away from cold drinks.
2. Rest is important. Let your child take a nap and go to bed earlier for a few days.
3. A steamy shower will help the irritant nose.
4. Run a humidifier. The moist air helps loosen mucus.
5. Drink lots of fluids like water and juice
6. Relax - read them a story, watch a movie or listen to music.
7. Wash their hands.
8. Don't share eating utensils like fork, spoon.
9. Don't ever give cold or cough medicine to children especially those under the age of 4.
Cool Mist Humidifier - Provides relief from cold,cough, nasal congestion and dry itchy skin
A finalist in the 2011 International Housewares Design Award, this humidifier provides 24 hours moisture on a medium setting. It operates with cold tap water providing a cool mist instantaneously.
Many physicians recommend the use of a humidifier to help relieve nasal congestion from a cold as an alternative to cough and cold medicine. Dry air makes a runny nose worse. A humidifier moistens the air and helps to thin the mucus in the nasal membrane and so drains the congested nose.
- Energy efficient using less power than a light bulb
- Whisper quiet operation
- Auto shut off feature when tank is empty to ensure safety
Tips On Medication For Children
- Caution urged when giving kids cold medicine
Many children end up in emergency rooms of hospitals each year because of problems associated with these medicines.
- What you need to know before you buy children's cold medicines
Some caution is advised when buying medicines for kids' colds to remove any possible risks.