- Women's Health
Pregnancy do's and don'ts
Babies are a true picture of innocence.
Welcome to my lens on KIDS. A child is the dream of every couple. His smile is so innocent, no feelings of jealousy or animosity. A child as transparent as a glass.............
I came to know a month ago that I am pregnant. I was excited and nervous at the same time. Excited for my baby to come and nervous because I thought "am I capable to handle a baby"?. Or will I be able to give him/her my 100%?...
Still I am happy. Yes it takes time to adjust to new feelings and new changes because now you have to take care of yourself and a life that growing inside you.
I am sharing my experience in this lens. Hope my lens is informative and joyful. Please sign my guestbook at the bottom of the page. Your comments and suggestions are very welcomed...
Planned and unplanned pregnancy.
Pregnancy may be planned or unplanned. Planned is when you and your partner is completely ready to face the challenge. And you both are mentally and physically prepared to have a baby. Unplanned is when you conceive just by chance. Still, terminating your first pregnancy is not recommended. Once you come to know that you are pregnant, accept it as a gift. Also start caring for yourself at each and every stage now, as you are now going to bring up a new life within you.
Before deciding to have a baby.
This is for all women. Being a mother is a big decision, that brings a lot of changes emotionally as well as physically in a lady. If you plan to have a baby, keep in mind that it is only you who will have to cope with all emotional changes in your life. Nobody else will be feeling like you feel. I am sharing my experience here. Do not expect anything from anyone. This will only increase your troubles.
Home Testing Kit.
When your periods get delayed, perform a home test for pregnancy first and then confirm it with the help of a doctor. Pregnancy is confirmed by a simple test that measures the level of the pregnancy hormone, HCG (human chorionic gonadotrophin), that are present in your urine. You can carry out a home test yourself using one of the pregnancy kits available from the pharmacist. If the result is positive, you must make an appointment to see your doctor so that he or she can make arrangements for your ante-natal care and birth.
Pregnancy is divided in trimesters that are the following:
1st trimester : 1st trimester consists of first three months.
2nd trimester: 2nd trimester consists of fourth, fifth and sixth month.
3rd trimester: 3rd trimester is froam seventh till the time of delivery.
Precautions During First Trimester.
Smoking and alcohol should be stopped during the first trimester of pregnancy. Although both these habits are very harmful for the child. So these should not be taken during pregnancy. A glass of wine may be taken once in a month and that too after third month of your pregnancy.
You should take plenty of water, fresh fruit juices and vegetables that are high in water content to stay hydrated. During the first trimester of pregnancy the body goes into a sudden changes, also its requirements increase because there is a life inside it. During first trimester, dehydration can be a cause of miscarriage.
The Most Crucial Months.
The most crucial month during pregnancy are the first three months as all the functions of the fetus have begun to form such as major organs and nervous system, heartbeat, fingers, arms, legs, toes, hair and buds for future teeth. So it is advised by doctors to take extra care of yourself during these early months. If you feel sleepy, then sleep as much as you want to. Do not cut off on your diet as you will be needing extra nutrients for the baby to grow inside your womb. During these early months, doctors advise folic acid till the third month which helps prevent the disease "spina bifida" in your growing fetus. Spina bifida is the neural tube defect that is caused by the deficiency of folic acid and sometimes due to fever in early months of pregnancy. But yes, mild fever is common during pregnancy. But fever above 103 degree celsius can be harmful during the early months.
Best Positions to Sleep During Pregnancy.
Best positing to sleep during pregnancy is sleeping on your sides. Sleeping towards your left side is the best position as it improves the blood flow and nutrients to the placenta. It also helps kidneys in efficiently eliminating waste products from your body which reduces swelling in ankles, feet and hands.Sleeping on your back and your tummy is a big "NO" for pregnant women, not because your baby is at risk. Baby is really very safe inside your womb. But, if you are sleeping on your back, the entire weight of the pregnant uterus lies on the spines, back muscles, intestines and major blood vessels. This leads to backaches and muscles pain.
Early symptoms varies with different women. Every woman has her own experience during pregnancy.. Some common early symptoms are the following:
1. You feel very tired. During this time, try to get as mush rest as possible.
2. You may feel tender breasts, your nipples will become darker and more prominent. You should wear a good sports bra from now until your baby is born.
3. Your veins will be more noticeable.
4. You may experience a strange metallic taste in your mouth.
5. A feeling of nausea, or even actual physical sickness in the morning or at any time during the day. It is often worse when your stomach is empty.
6. Try eating six small high-carbohydrate meals, during the day such as pasta, potato and bread. Avoid rich or fatty foods..
7. You may need to urinate frequently.
Pregnancy Week By Week.
Pregnancy: 9 Weeks.
During 9th week, you still may not physically appear pregnant to other people. But you may experience mood swings, or you may notice an increase in heartburn and feel more bloated. Avoid heartburn by eating smaller meals throughout the day. Heartburn can also be prevented by avoiding lying down after meals and avoiding spicy. The baby lookS more like a human being since the embryonic tail is completely gone by week 9. The eyelids are fully formed and will open again during week 28. All the baby's joints such as the knees, elbows, shoulders, ankles, and wrists are working allowing the baby to move about freely within the amniotic sac. The baby's heart is divided into four chambers, and the valves are beginning to develop. Your baby can also make a fist, and he/she may begin sucking his/her thumb. Your baby is about the size of a grape, measuring a little over 1 Â½ inches from its head to its rump, and weighs a fraction of an ounce.
Pregnancy: 10 Weeks
From crown to rump, he's about 1 1/4 inches long and weighs less than a quarter of an ounce. This is the beginning of fetal period and the baby has completed the most critical portion of his development. He's swallowing fluid and kicking up a storm. Vital organs including his kidneys, intestines, brain, and liver are now making red blood cells in place of the disappearing yolk sac. Also these vital organs are in place and starting to function. They will continue to develop throughout your pregnancy. Tiny nails forming on fingers and toes and peach-fuzz hair beginning to grow on tender skin. Also the baby's limbs can bend now. His hands are flexed at the wrist and meet over his heart, and his feet may be long enough to meet in front of his body. The outline of his spine is clearly visible through translucent skin, and spinal nerves are beginning to stretch out from his spinal cord. The baby's forehead temporarily bulges with his developing brain and sits very high on his head, which measures half the length of his body.
Pregnancy: 12 Weeks
During this week, the eyes which started on the sides of your baby's head will move closer together and the ears will be in the normal position. You baby's intestines will begin moving into the abdominal cavity now. The baby's face will now look more human. My baby's size is now 57.5mm. I was very excited for the scan this time as I could see my baby as more human today. I have completed my 12 weeks on 9th April. I was called by the doctor for an ultrasound for FWB (Fetal Well Being) + NT (Nuchal translucency). Nuchal translucency is done to test the Down's Syndrome in baby. This test is usually done between 11 weeks to 14 weeks during pregnancy.
Normal measurement of NT are the following:
During 11 weeks: Up-to 2.00mm
By 13 weeks and 6 days: Up-to 2.8mm
Down's syndrome is also known as TRISOMY 21. It is a chromosomal condition in which extra genetic material causes delays in the a way a child develops both mentally and physically. It is caused by all or a part of an extra 21st chromosome. At the time of conception the baby inherits genetic information from its parents in the form of 46 chromosomes i.e. 23 from mother and 23 from father. In case of Down syndrome, a child gets an extra chromosome 21 that makes a total of 47 chromosomes instead of 46.
The characteristics and symptoms of Down Syndrome are the following:
1. A flattened face and nose.
2. A short neck.
3. A small mouth sometimes with a large tongue.
4. Small ears.
5. Upward slanting eyes that may have small skin folds at the inner corner.
6. White spots may be present on Iris.
7. The hands are short and broad with short fingers, and with a single crease in the palm.
8. Poor muscle tone and loose ligaments.
9. Development and growth is usually delayed and often average height and developmental milestones are not reached.
The characteristics of down's syndrome varies from child to child. Not all children have same or all the symptoms.
Room for You.
Your mum and father,
Both are all set,
To welcome you in this world,
We are making new arrangements,
For your comfortable stay,
How happy we both are,
It is difficult to say,
Just want you to hear,
That we love you,
More than ourselves,
Come home my dear one."
I Am Worried.
"Baby I am worried,
Will I be able to provide you the best of your liking?
Whether I can be a good mother?
Baby I am worried,
As I am myself fighting for life and freedom,
My feelings today are hard to mention,
I could not sleep the whole night,
Will I be able to make your future bright?
I am so frightened,
Still I want to tell you that I will always be your friend."
Your 3d view.
"Baby Ii saw you in a 3d view,
I am so happy to see you move,
I love the way you move your limbs,
And I am happy to welcome you in,
Baby fifteen more weeks are to go,
And you will be in my arms for sure,
I will shower all my love and care,
And will protect you from every dare,
You are my heart and soul,
I love you."
You are in which moth of your pregnancy?
WHAT EARLY SYMPTOMS DID YOU EXPERIENCE DURING YOUR FIRST TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY?
You Are a Hope.
You are a hope,
You are a ray of light,
Where I can see everything,
Glowing and bright,
Whenever I close my eyes,
I see you,
And want to hug you tight,
I have plans for your welcome,
Our life will surely take a right turn,
You are the biggest hope,
Growing inside me,
I love you,
And want you to be beside me."
Wife to Mother.
"Entering into a new phase of my life,
Starting to nurture motherhood from a wife,
This is my seventh month of pregnancy,
I can feel my baby already,
I feel so nice,
With a bit of fright,
Mixed feelings have surrounded me,
But I am happy mother to be,
Just in a small span of time,
I began my journey with my husband,
And now my excitement has no limit and end,
Now I have two most important people in my life,
These are, my husband and the one growing inside,
I promise to love you both till the end of my life,
Thank you for making me happy and satisfied."
A Letter to My Baby.
I saw your heartbeat today,
I have no words to express and say,
How happy and satisfied I was,
It was the first time,
I felt you inside me,
Just through your heartbeat,
For you to meet,
You are 13mm,
Now, I feel really like a mum,
Just now visited the doctor,
And she accredited everything fine and normal,
Baby your mum and father,
Eagerly waiting for you,
To shower all our love to you."
How to Protect Babies from Mosquitoes?
Mosquito bites are usually harmless to the baby as it is to us. Some rare cases of diseases are malaria, typhoid, viral, etc. That can affect us as adults too. The baby will only develop a red bump on the bitten area that is safe until it expands to other areas of the skin.
You may try following steps to avoid mosquitoes harming your baby:
1. Avoid areas like lakes, woods, stagnant water, flowery gardens and open food areas that are a natural habitat of mosquitoes.
2. Insect repellent is not recommended for newborn babies, still if you are very conscious about it, you can use the product that contains only 10% of DEET, according to The American Academy of Paediatrics.
3. Dress your baby with the clothes that cover maximum part of his/her body. This is surely going to be helpful as exposed skin is more prone to mosquito bites.
4. Mosquito net for baby cots, sheets and strollers is also a useful way to avoid mosquitoes near your new born.
5. Try some natural herbs like lavender that is a good mosquito repellent.
Cord Blood Banking and the Matters of Concerns.
We all want a healthy life for our child as a parent and we leave no stones unturned for this. Every parent according to his/her pocket is doing a fair deal for the child. There have come up so many companies for cord blood banking. And we become confused as to whom to choose. But, wait, here are some other concerns to throw light on. The companies have massive marketing teams which visit expecting parents with expensive brochures and CDs to convince them of the goodness of stem cell banking.These companies offer to take away the blood from the cord of a newborn from which they will extract the stem cells and store in in facilities for further use in the future.These companies have not only targeting parents but also doctors in India.
Some matters of concern for the stem cell banking:
1) There is little assurance that these companies will exist in the future when you might need these stem cells.
2) There is little quality assurance as these companies can easily mismatch or destroy the stem cells.The contracts have no measures to penalize these companies.
3) Concerns have been raised that the current interest in cord blood could cause a perception that cord blood is ‘unused’ by the birth process, thus decreasing the amount of blood which is infused into the child as part of the birth process. The pulsation of the cord pushes blood into the child, and it has been recommended that the cord cease pulsation prior to clamping. With the demand for cord blood increasing, there is a possibility that the cord could be clamped prematurely to preserve even more ‘extra’ cord blood. This action could have detrimental effects on the child’s future development.The American Academy of Pediatricians notes: "if cord clamping is done too soon after birth, the infant may be deprived of a placental blood transfusion, resulting in lower blood volume and increased risk for anemia”.
4) For prospective parents who think they are giving their child a present by storing their cord blood might need to rethink because “Using one’s own cord blood cells might not be wise or effective, especially in cases of childhood cancers and leukemia.Children who develop an immunological disorder often are unable to use their own cord blood for transplant because the blood also contains the same genetic defect. Nearly all of the transplants using privately banked cord blood have gone to relatives with pre-existing conditions, not to the donors”
5) Other established treatments may be more suitable for the patient, rather than cord blood transplants, and it may become possible to obtain the needed blood or more generalized stem cells by other means, such as from the bloodstream of an adult or from tissue culture.
Baby Kicks During 9th Month.
Recommended Reading During Pregnancy.
Baby Having Fun
This is my baby Kanav who is playing with me and having fun. It always feels good to see your baby laughing and giggling. I love my kiddo.