- Holidays and Celebrations»
Alice and Mad Hatter Halloween Costumes
If you're reading this, then I assume that you have read my first two hubs about our costuming adventures for Halloween at Mickey's Not-so scary Halloween party. If you haven't check them out:
2011, Tweedledee and Tweedledum
- Tweedledee and Tweedledum Costumes
Our first attempt to create awesome Disney Halloween Costumes for Mickey's Not-so-scary Halloween Party
2012, Snow White and Happy
- Snow White and Happy Costumes for Mickey's Not-so-scary Halloween Party
Our Snow White and Happy Halloween costumes for Mickey's Not-so-scary Halloween Party.
Once again we didn't want to be the version from the recent Tim Burton film, which is very popular, and we saw several costumes from that movie, but we rather decided to base our costumes from the old-school Disney animated film designed by Mary Blair.
The difficulty is that the popular patterns that you can find in the fabric stores are from the Burton film, take a look:
Clearly, these designs are from the recent film, but the basic design of Alice's dress is more or less the same. The collar was different, rounded, but that was an easy change. The sleeves were too big, so I had to find sleeves that were a better match.
Luckily, I also had this pattern for Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, and the sleeves were perfect. So I cobbled them together to make the blue dress. This is a skill I have learned to develop over the years, combining patterns to create what I need.
The apron was another story. There was no pattern for this apron. There are plenty of patterns for other aprons, but not this one. I made this apron through trial and error, using a lot of different scraps of fabric. The bow was its own beast. I designed it to be separate from the rest of the apron so the whole thing could come on and off easily. The apron was secured to the dress by snaps. To finish the job, I created a pair of bloomers for under the dress as well as the black bow for the hair. Hollie also found a White Rabbit purse to compliment the ensemble.
By comparison, the Mad Hatter's costume was relatively straightforward in that each piece was its own pattern. I didn't have to combine patterns like I had to do with Alice.
The pants and vest were from the same pattern and made from the same fabric, as the cartoon version's vest and pants matched. I used a different vest pattern than I have used before, because I wanted the vest to be longer, so I used a pattern advertised for Pirates of the Caribbean, but is more like for a British Naval Officer. I put pockets with zippers in the pants, and I would recommend always sewing pockets in the pants for any costume, be it Halloween, Renaissance Faire, Comic-con, or even onstage. Trust me, you will thank me later.
For the jacket, I used a pattern from a Jeckyl and Hyde design. The most difficult part was finding the right color fabric in the right weight. After searching several local fabric shops, I looked online and found fashionfabricsclub.com. I found a golden twill and I was even able to order matching thread. I have no problem name dropping them because they saved my bacon.
I used the same pattern to adjust the dress shirt. I removed the collar from a dress shirt I picked up at a thrift store and sewed a period-style collar instead. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
I ordered blue socks online and purchased matching fabric to make the large tie.
The hat was made from the same pattern, but I made it taller and wider at the top, figuring out the dimensions by making a mock up with brown paper. We decided that the tag should be made of fabric and the numbers written by a fabric pen. The numbers 10/6 refers to the price of the hat: 10 pounds, 6 pence. To add a final touch, I added my Doctor Who watch, which was a Christmas gift.
Once again, we looked great, and I got to pose with the Mad Hatter at the park. We had a lot of fun and new right away who we wanted to be next year...