- Holidays and Celebrations
How To Make Pinwheel Cookies Recipe
When the holidays roll in, many of us like to bake cookies . In the past I always seem to get caught up in the rush, finding myself over whelmed, just plain tired and with a to do list a mile long. Making and baking cookies had just become way to much. Until last season, I came up with a plan that changed that.
Soon after Thanksgiving, when time allows. I start making up batches of dough, wrapping the dough well, I pop it in the freezer. As it gets closer to Christmas I can pull out a batch of dough, allow it to thaw. It is then ready to roll, slice, bake and or decorate. Doing it this way saves me time and energy instead of trying to do dozens and dozens of different varieties of cookies all at once.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup soft shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 to 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 drops food coloring, your choice of color
- Sift together flour, soda, and salt.
- Mix until creamy, shortening, sugar, egg, vanilla .
- Gradually add flour mixture, mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Setting one half aside.
- Take one half of the dough , between sheets of waxed paper roll dough 1/4 " thick. Set aside
- Take the other half of dough , add drops of food color, mix well. between sheets of waxed paper roll dough 1/4 " thick.
- Peel off top sheets of waxed paper . Turn the colored dough onto the plain dough. Roll up with the help of the waxed paper.
- At this time I wrap my roll up well and freeze.
- At Baking Time: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice dough 1/8" to 1/4" thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheet . Bake about 10 minutes., or until golden brown.
- Makes 3 dozen
I think the next batch, I will use chocolate and a peppermint extract.
I have on occasion when I am out of shortening, use the same amount of coconut oil. That was really good.. Not only did it give me the coconut taste, it gave it a sweet salty taste..They were really good.
More On Cookies
- Have Fun With The Cookies And Cookie Cutter
Not only can Cookie Cutters be used for cutting out shapes from cookie dough. They also can be useful in decorating...
- Cream Cheese Date Turnovers Recipe
This cookie is so delicious. When I set out a plate of cookies these are the ones that are devoured first
- Gingerbread Man Recipe
With the aroma of ginger, cinnamon, and molasses the one cookie that says it’s the holiday season is the Gingerbread Man cookie. A Gingerbread Man is a rolled cookie (or rolled biscuit) that is usually in the shape of a human but can be cut in other