Great Gift Ideas for Fathers Day
The United States is one of the few countries in the world that has an official day on which fathers are honored by their children. On the third Sunday in June, fathers all across the United States are given presents, treated to dinner, or otherwise made to feel special. Father’s Day gives us all the opportunity to celebrate fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society
Interesting Facts About Fathers Day
Since Fathers Day is right around the corner, it’s a good time to start thinking about some Fathers Day gift ideas. But first, have you ever wondered how this holiday originated? Below are 5 interesting facts about the holiday that you may not have heard of before. Then I’ll share awesome Fathers Day gift ideas with you for this upcoming Fathers Day.
- The origin of Father's Day is not clear. Regardless of when the first true Father's Day occurred, the strongest promoter of the holiday was Mrs. Bruce John Dodd of Spokane, Washington. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart, a widowed Civil War veteran who was left to raise his six children on a farm.
- A day in June was chosen for the first Father's Day celebration, as proclaimed by Spokane’s Mayor, because it was the month of Smart's birth.
- In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge made Father’s Day a national event to "establish more intimate relations between fathers and their children and to impress upon fathers the full measure of their obligations."
- The first presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday in June as Father's Day.
- Father's Day has been officially celebrated annually since 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made it permanent.
Fathers Day Gift Ideas
Getting something nice for your father on Father's day can be a daunting task. Men are hard to shop for on Father's day, especially since sentimental gifts usually don't get as much as appreciation as they will from a woman on Mothers Day. Ties and drills are just too cliche. Why not try to find something that shows a little more thought? Here are several categories of Fathers Day gift ideas that might just do the trick for this upcoming Fathers day.
Fathers Day Gift Ideas Category #1 - Technology
What man doesn't like toys and gadgets? If your father is anything of a techie, then he'll be sure to enjoy gifts such as high tech video sunglasses, portable Bluetooth speakers, or his own quadcopter drone!
Fathers Day Gift Ideas Category #2 - Recreation
Men love sports and relaxation. This Fathers Day why not give a gift along this theme along the lines of your own father's favorite pastime? Could he be a golfer? Into football? Loves running? The possibilities here are endless!
Fathers Day Gift Ideas Category #3 - Cooking Out
I don't know why men enjoy grilling and cooking out so much, but most of them just do. If your dad is one of these men, there are a ton of gift ideas that will make his Fathers Day a whole lot better. Think grills, utensil sets, thermometers, and barbecue or hot sauce sets!
Happy Fathers Day
Hopefully one of the Fathers Day gift ideas above will turn out to be the perfect gift to get for your dad this year. For other top selling Fathers Day gift ideas click HERE. Hope you can find something that dad will love!