- Holidays and Celebrations»
- UK Holidays
Greatest Welsh Woman Singer : Shirley Bassey
Greatest Welsh Woman Singer : Shirley Bassey
There are thousands of talented Welsh singers, actors and actresses who are renowned worldwide. It has been said that every one out of seven Welsh will become famous in the world. Shirley Bassey is definitely one of the greatest Welsh singer of all time. I love the power of her voice plus the intensity when she sings.
- Born: 8 January 1937, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
- She was divorced twice and she has two daughters, one dead already.
- Shirley Bassey is a Welsh singer and is considered the most successful British female artist of all time.
- She became famous in the fifty’s and for recording the songs for the movies of James Bond like Goldfinger in 1964, Diamonds are Forever in 1971 and Moonraker in 1979. She was born to a Nigerian dad and her mother is of English heritage and she was the youngest child among seven.
- Shakira : best singer and good belly dancer
Shakira is a lively singer which is very good in belly dancing as well. She is a good model to everybody specially the youth as she is into charity, learning and clean living. She is a Latina (Colombian)...
- Giselle Bundchen -- Supermodel Topnotch
Who wouldn't be popular if you are the wife of a handsome quarterback, but then Gisele Bundchen had made a name of her own in the modeling world. She is the image model of many fashion products including...
- Elin Nordegren: Famous Wife of Tiger Woods
Elin Nordegren: Famous Wife of Tiger Woods Elin Nordegren was born in January 1, 1980 and is the wife of Tiger Woods -- the famous and best golfer in the world. She was born in Sweden from a...
- Most Beautiful and Sexy Thai Actresses
Most Beautiful and Sexy Thai Actresses Thailand is located in the Southeast Asia group of countries and it is a haven for tourists because of the beauty of the place, tropical weather is...
Awards and Achievements:
- She is an artist with the longest span of top 40 hits --for 50 years--.
- 2000 – Most Successful British Female Singer per Guinness Book of World Records
- In 1999 The British Royal family created a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire and awarded her that recognition of her singing prowess and career longevity. It was awarded by her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
- She was awarded France's top honour -- the Legion d’Honneur -- to signify her popularity and importance in the culture of the Country France
- As part of the celebration of the Queens Golden Jubilee she performed in 2002 at the Palace
Short History about the beginning of her career
- Shirley Bassey started her career very early, singing at different theater, clubs and public houses. It was in 1951 when she first signed a contract (professional) and a tour variety show “Memories of Jolson” a musical based on the life of the man.
- She was only fifteen during those times. At 16 she gave birth to her first daughter. In 1955, Michael Sullivan an agent put her career on a headstart. She toured various theaters until she got an offer of the show that put her firmly on the road to stardom, Al Reads's -- “Such Is Life” -- in Londons west End. From that time on she never stopped.
- 1972-1976 -- Various awards giving bodies awarded her Best female Singer -- She toured the UK to make her twenty years as a recording artist, plus the EMI awarded her as well for
- !977 -- The Britons awarded her the Best Females Solo artist. She achieved a nomination for “The Shirley Bassey show” from the "Golden Rose of Montreux".
- 1991 – 1992 ---- Walk of Fame-- Star Boulevard and the plaque was given in Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 1993 -- Awarded “Commander of the Order of the British Empire” CBE
- 1995 -- Showbusiness Personality of the Year given by the variety Club of Great Britain
- 1997 1998 – In 1997 she was nominated in Grammy and in 1998 she did "The Birthday Concert" IN 1998 she has the l
- un by a solo artist at least ten shows at Royal Festival Hall, London
- 1999 – Madam Tussaud's wax -- work unveiled in London and the second wax model was in Las Vegas) She was given the Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire
- 2003 – 2004 Outstanding Contribution to Music – National Music Awards, United Kingdom and Lifetime Achievement Award (inaugural award) – Western Mail Welsh Woman of the Year Awards
- 2004 – 2005 in 2004, she was voted in the top ten 100 great Black Briton and Artist for Peace Award by the UNESCO. In 2005 – Avenue Stars – The plaque was unveiled in London -- the Avenue of stars
- 2008 – The "Goldfinger" by the “United Artists single” --- (1964) inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame
There you go, now you can rest assured her songs will continue to be heard anywhere, she is truly the greatest Welsh woman singer of all time.