Easy Ways to Capture the Christmas Spirit!
10 Simple Strategies for Capturing the Christmas Spirit
1. Baking - Don't go overboard trying to bake too many different things, bake one or two things REALLY well. Cookie exchanges are a popular way to share fabulous treats and host a social gathering at the same time, the bonus is that everyone gets to take home a wonderful variety of baked goods. Smell is a powerful memory-inducer: delicious butter tarts always remind me of a much-loved Aunt.
2. Photos - I have a few special Christmas photo frames that come out every year. Some are updated, but others I leave with the photos intact because I treasure them so much. My son's first Christmas, sitting under the tree in his gingerbread-man pajamas, and his first time sitting on a sled are two cherished ones.
3. Volunteer - Nothing makes Christmas seem more sacred than realizing what it truly means to give to others.... Spend an afternoon in a nursing home, reading or playing games with a senior. Volunteer at your local food bank, collecting and sorting out holiday hampers. My son's hockey team loves to haul in the big sacks of apples, carrots and potatoes at our food bank - and the team spirit it creates is unbelievable.
4. Sing! There are a few "holiday only" radio stations and it is so fun to teach the kids the classics, as well as sing along to the great new ones that are coming out (check out the video below!). We always play Christmas carols and sing while we decorate for Christmas.
5. Make an evergreen wreath, the smell of the boughs is truly Christmas!
6. Create a Christmas Tradition - For 18 years, the women in my family have had a special Christmas Tea together, it is one afternoon a year we take a break from the shopping, the business, and enjoy a formal tea and treats, and catch up on each others lives. The Empress Hotel is our favourite spot for a true 'High Tea'.
7. Take a Drive - Go out one night and look at all the fabulous Christmas displays around you. Many town have lighting contests and often when one neighbour goes all out, the others soon follow suit! There was a street in Victoria re-named "Candy Cane Lane' for years because of their amazing display.
8. Spend an evening having Family Game Night: bring out those favourite board games and have the whole gang join in.
9. Host an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party - all the guests must wear the ugliest Christmas sweater they can find, prizes for the ugliest! That little black dress can come out for New Year's!
10. Savor the Anticipation - Christmas Day goes so fast, wrapping is ripped open and it is over in the blink of an eye. Spend a few quiet moments looking at the Christmas tree, thinking about the ways you have been blessed.