St. Patrick's Day: Shamrock Green, Irish Sugar Cookie Recipe
St. Patrick's Day Cookie Time
Happy Kiss an Irish day! On St. Patrick's Day you want to make some satisfying treats to go along with your green food recipes.
These tasty shamrock cookies will do just that and be devoured quickly by your family and friends on St. Patrick's Day.
These shamrock cookies are a spin the sugar cookie recipe I use in my Candy Cane Blossom variation where I fondly name them Holiday Hug Blossoms because I use Hershey's Hugs instead of Hershey's Candy Cane kisses.
Shamrock Green Sugar Cookies
I take this special sugar cookie recipe and some green sugar and make the magic of the Emerald Isles come to life!
On March 17th you will definitely want to share the luck of the Irish with everyone you know by making green foods and green Saint Patrick's Day treats.
Make up a batch or two, or even three because you will definitely need them if you're inviting family, friends and coworkers to a St. Patrick's Day party this year!
Shamrock Cookie Cutters
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons 1% milk
- 2 cups` flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Green sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat salted butter, sugar, vanilla extract and egg in large bowl until well blended.
- Stir together white flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture and 1% milk (I like to use Neilson 1% milk brand, but you can use any kind) to butter mixture, beating until well blended.
- Lightly flour your counter and roll out dough to around 1/4" thickness.
- Touch your 2 inch shamrock cookie cutter to the flour and then cut out your shamrock shaped cookies.
- Sprinkle green sugar over your cookies - be sure to really load it on for more vibrant sugar cookies! (Optional: Add green edible pearls, other cookie decorations with your green sugars)
- Place your cute shamrock cookies on a ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookies is set. Remove from oven -- cool 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove your dazzling clover cookies from the baking pan to a wire rack. Cool sugar cookies completely and display them on a platter, or put them in a crystal cookie jar so the green sugar will sparkle through the crystal glass!
Will you need party treats like this for Saint Patrick's Day?
Vibrant Sugar Cookies
This is a more complicated method, but my favorite.
This is also how I make Candy Cane Blossoms and Holiday Hugs.
After doing steps 1-4:
- Make 2.5 inch balls and roll them around in green sugar.
- Mash the dough in your hand, working the green sugar into the dough.
- Now remold the dough into balls before rolling once more in green sugar crystals and flattening on the counter.
- Cut 2" shamrock cookies out of your sparkling cookies.
Continue with step 8-10. Enjoy!
While this may not be the most diet friendly, it certainly is a yummy treat for the holiday! If you store these in the fridge you can pace yourself a bit (if you can keep the kiddos and the spouse at bay - they are just so irresistible!).
Put these tasty cookies into little cellophane baggies with green ribbon as a small gift for your co-workers, or if you are a teacher you can pack your entire class a yummy surprise to take home. It's a sweet treat for all! You can even use this recipe as a fun project to teach baking to the young ones and get them interested in baking, cooking and being creative.
Other Cookie and Cookie Bar Recipes
- Creative Chocolate Chip Cookie Ideas - Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Recipe
Take the chocolate chip cookie to a whole new level with a chocolate chip cookie bar recipe. This super rich dessert is filled with chocolate morsels that melt in the mouth.
- Paleo Cookies: Chocolate Mint
These Primal cookies are made with almond and coconut flours. Going Paleo doesn't mean you can't enjoy a cookie now and then. These gluten-free goodies are delicious for the Paleo and non-Paleo alike.
- Creative Chocolate Chip Cookie Ideas
Sugar, sprinkles, and icing are not just for cakes and cupcakes anymore! It is the perfect time of year to preheat the oven and have a go at some of these creative, and oh-so-delicious ways to make Chocolate Chip Cookies even better!
- Foolproof Recipes for Low-Fat Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookies are a staple of the confectioner's kitchen. With this foolproof recipe, anyone can make a delightful, low-fat sugar cookie (with a sugar-free option).
- Valentine's Day: Valentine Cookie Recipes and Creative Valentine Cookie Ideas
With every holiday you can make a special cookie basket full of colorful treats that will make anyone smile. Vegan cookies, sugar free cookies, there are many cookies you can make for Valentines Day!