Romantic Gifts of Love: The Gift of an Experience
It's often so hard to find just the right birthday, Christmas or Valentine's Day gift for the one you love. Many people get so stymied and frustrated, they give up and tell people that Valentine's Day is just another holiday created by the greeting card companies. Come on, be honest, haven't you heard someone say that at least once in your life? Probably at one point, it was the person you've loved who's embarrassed that they don't know what to get you, so they threw that old complaint out there. Well, special days don't always have to be celebrated with an actual gift. An experience can last longer and have more meaning for the one you love. Just make sure you talk to them about it first. Tell them you're not getting them an actual "gift" that can be wrapped this year, but something better.
Here are some great ideas to get you started:
* Go out to dinner to a favorite restaurant...maybe the one you went to on your first date, or one that has become your favorite. Talk about a special time you had there, and let the romance begin.
* Does your loved one have a certain hobby that you don't really relish? Plan a day that the two of you go off and do this. If it's golf, go golfing with him or her as a gift. Hiking? Plan a hike and bring a picnic lunch. Have a loving attitude and try to enjoy it for their sake, even if you are bored to death!
* Purchase 2 tickets for a concert for their favorite band, or singer, or classical music, etc.and wrap them up or put them in a card. Tell them you are going together, even if it's music you don't particularly like. If the concert is a month or two away, the excitement of looking forward to it will last longer than chocolates or flowers.
* Rather than buy your love a new outfit or suit that you don't know if they will like, make a day of it by getting them a gift card to their favorite clothing store, and tell them you are going shopping together. Add lunch as a bonus, and you'll make it an extra special experience.
* Is there a "chick flick" or action movie they've been dying to see? Buy tickets in advance, and surprise them by saying you're going together and the popcorns on you!
* Or...rent a series of chick flicks or action movies, build a fire in the fireplace, eat pizza in front of the TV and settle in for a night that will be extra special for them.
* Hate to cook? Plan a romantic meal, just the 2 of you, and YOU do the cooking. If you have kids, bring them to a neighbors or grandma's and stay in and have a romantic dinner, made by you with wine and candlelight.
* Give them a spa day with the girls, or guys night out with the boys. Purchase a gift card in advance to the spa or a pub and tell them to have a great time. When they come home, they may be so happy and relaxed that romance will bloom!
* Has he always wanted to take flying lessons, or has she always wanted to try Yoga? Purchase a gift certificate for one of these experiences. Flight schools often have introductory offers at a good price to get people hooked on flying. It will be a gift they know you bought just for them.
* If you have kids, give her or him a day off from parenting. Make up a gift certificate that says just that. Make sure their favorite foods/refreshments are in the house, and take off with the kids for the day, giving the other parent the day off.
* If you're on a budget, you can do something for each other that doesn't cost any money at all. Plan together to do one thing that the other one has been wanting you to do...put up a new shelf in her closet, clean out a bathroom closet that has old make up and lotions in it that you never got around to cleaning out, paint a room that badly needs it, etc.
* Take them on a day trip but don't tell them where you are going.Visit places you used to go to when you were first dating...walk in the park or go to your favorite beach. At night you could go listen to a band you both used to like, or go dancing somewhere you used to go. Keep it a surprise for the other person and it will be much more romantic.
There are many options out there for gift experiences instead of gifts. And if you involve yourself in it as well, it's a gift you'll both remember long after the actual special day.
Copyright by Karen Hellier, 2012.
For your next picnic experience...
More Idea for Couples
- 10 Free Fun Dates For Couples
If money is tight these days and you want to spend special time with your significant other without spending a lot, check out my top 10 free dates ( well, you might have to pay for gas, but that's it!)
Would you like to write for Hub Pages? Click the link below to sign up for free:
HubPages is your online space to share your advice, reviews, useful tips, opinions and insights with hundreds of other authors. HubPages is completely free, and you can even earn online ad revenue!