Year Round Gifts - Babyshower Gifts
A Gift for a Gift
Children can be the most amazing gift we ever receive. But when they arrive, there are other gifts to be considered! I'm sure most of you have experienced this moment... its probably why you are here, reading this article. You open the mail and find a smaller than average envelope. Inside is an adorable card in either blue, pink, or the traditional de-genderized yellow and plastered with tiny footprints, duckies or baby carriages. It has happened, one of your friends or family has taken the plunge into parenthood. And now, you, must decipher the perfect gift for a tiny being whom you have not even met.
A shocking number of people shy away from the Gift Registry when shopping for a babyshower gift. Its as though they feel this type of gift is too impersonal or that there is some lack of thought. I assure you this is not the case! When you were a child and made a list for Santa, would you have, in any way been disappointed if Christmas morning brought exactly what was on that list? The same holds true for new parents. They search and look and "window shop" for all those perfect items that will hold, clean, feed, and clothe their perfect bundle. There is no way that a new mom and dad (except for a lucky few) can afford all these baby amenities... that is where the gift comes in. Mommy-to-be has been dreaming about those perfect little sheets w/ the tiny lambs on them that were just out of her price range. Holding them in her hands at the baby shower will put those dreams one step closer to reality, and in the hormone induced wonderland that is pregnancy, may even induce a tear or two.
The Personal Touch
Baby showers are one venue where I definitely and emphatically support the hand made present. These blankets and bears and duckies created by loving hands become heirlooms. The stories are told to the little one. ("See the pretty Teddy, Aunt Jane made that for you!") If you aren't schooled in the world of homemade gifts, feel free to add that personal touch to your babyshower present in a less home-ec intensive manner. Stencil little handprints on the border of a white picture frame. Or even patronize one of the thousands of baby stores specializing in monogrammed or personalized items... if you know the new arrival's initials that is.
A personal touch can come in the way of a favor or gesture, as well. If your on a budget, this may be the perfect way to go. Buy a stack of baby shower thank you notes, bring them to the baby shower, and address each one while at the party. As the happy mom-to-be opens her gifts, note the gift received inside the flap of each envelope. This task will take one more stress off of a woman who is already, quite literally, overextended.
They may not seem romantic, or sweet, or creative, but the essentials are wonderful shower gifts. When we ran out of diapers about 2 weeks into my first son's life with us, I was more than thankful to remember that we had a whole case stashed away someone had given us at my baby shower. Here's a few of the basics that every new mom and dad need. In the craziness that is new parenthood, these items make some of the best baby shower gifts:
- Bottles and liners (ask ahead which brand Mom and Dad will be using)
- A really good diaper bag (I recommend the backpack style personally - Both Mom and Dad feel comfortable carrying it, and if they are going it alone, they'll most certainly already have their hands full.)
- Burp cloths (They will never have enough of these)
- Baby proofing items (safety plugs, drawer locks, etc.)
Gifts for Mom (and Dad)
A new addition to the family can be a trying time on individuals and relationships. Though the shower may be for the baby, you can always gear your gift towards the parents as well.
- A restaurant gift card and a promise to babysit will always be appreciated.
- If you're handy in the kitchen, cook away, and stock their freezer for them with easy to reheat meals.
- Gift cards for local take out restaurants (pizza, chinese, etc.)
- If you know the couple well, and know for certain they won't be offended, a few sessions with a cleaning service may be a very welcome break for the exhausted new parents.
If you enjoyed this article, or found it useful, please rate it up and leave a comment. Looking for other gift ideas? Check out the related articles below.
- Spring Gifts - Wedding Presents
Gift ideas for any happy couple in your life. Weddings, anniversaries, or just to show you care.
- Holiday Gifts for the Guy - Christmas presents for the pickiest husband, dad, or in-law
Gifts for the mister in your life, whether he be your spouse, dad, friend or other!
- Tightening the Toolbelt - 5 Saving Strategies for the Workplace
Need to save up for those gift giving expenses? Check out these easy budgeting tips.