What are your emotions this Father's Day?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Brynn Thorssen profile image84
    Brynn Thorssenposted 7 years ago

This is always a bittersweet time for me ... I love my father but we are not close.  Father's Day always reminds me of the distance between us.

1. JaneanOverman profile image61
      JaneanOvermanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Exactly how it is for me. Only had a negative association and distance relationship with my father. He spent so many years not saying a word to me unless it was negative. Sorry it is rough for you. Hoping you find peace in the midst of struggle.

2. julieann26 profile image84
    julieann26posted 7 years ago

Not everyone here is from the USA or wherever else that Father's Day is happening this weekend.

Here in Australia, Father's Day isn't until September - which is early spring for us.

Brynn Thorssenposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi there!

In Russia, they have the Day of the Soldier, which is really a day for all men (since service was compulsory).  I'm seeing a lot of weird competitiveness going on with both father's AND mother's day.  There are some really resentful people out there ...

3. clivewilliams profile image71
    clivewilliamsposted 7 years ago

My father is special. Caring and kind. Fathers are rarely recognized even when they do their best to love and care for their children and family. Happy father's day to my dad and all wonderful fathers in the world.
    http://hubpages.com/literature/Funny-Fa … Not-A-Tool

I don't think that truly great fathers' good deeds go unrecognized.  I have a couple of male friends who wholeheartedly believe that they are good fathers ... but nothing could be farther from the truth.  One, who is a dear, dear friend, is in jail right now awaiting sentencing.  I told him he should visit his son before he got locked up, but he always had "something better to do."  Now he may go away for 60 years, but he always found something more important than his son when he was out.

4. Brynn Thorssen profile image84
    Brynn Thorssenposted 7 years ago

My mom married a great guy when I was a sophomore in high school; he was more of a dad to me than my own father.  I was lucky to have him in my life, but he is gone now.

Unfortunately, he was a fantastic dad to me but was terrible to his own kids (from what they have told me).  They said he married my mom and pretty much forgot they existed.  I see all the Facebook posts about Father's Day and I'm torn because I'm friends with my step siblings and know it causes them pain when I talk about what a good dad he was to me.

1. clivewilliams profile image71
      clivewilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear that. But there are great fathers out there by the millions. But as usual, in everything in life there will be bad apples. The greatest thing is that you still have life and can guide some young man into what it takes to be a great dad.

5. profile image0
    mothersofnationsposted 7 years ago

I didn't grow up with my father (geographical distance) but I was able to have some kind of relationship with him once I became an adult. He passed away a few years ago.
    I was used to not having a father around so fathers day doesn't affect me much. I thought more about my children for the lack of theirs but they were very young when he was around so we're used to it now, it's really just another day for us.

I'm sorry to hear about the distance between you and your father and I pray the Lord will heal your heart and restore your relationship. God bless you...

6. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 7 years ago

I have the best father in the world. :-) I'm lucky.

You are lucky!  My stepfather was a great dad, but just to me.  It makes me feel a bit guilty.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you love your father, you better give it your 100% effort. Because your face feel lonely.

In school I rarely got A plus yet did get lots of Es for efforts.

When your on your death bed, you won't be thinking on how much more time you should have spent on the job. You will be thinking of your love ones and how much time you should have spent time with them.

In fact I'm giving my daughter a call RIGHT NOW!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)