jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Do you share the Thanksgiving story with your child?

1. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

Do you share the Thanksgiving story with your child?

Is it important that your child knows the reason your family celebrates Thanksgiving?  What types of activities do you do to help them remember why it is celebrated?

2. James Peters profile image81
    James Petersposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7252758_f260.jpg

I love telling the story how the Puritans came over and shared a Thanksgiving feast with the Wampanoag Indiana tribe. I also like telling others how the turkey came to be the "main" feast during Thanksgiving.
    The roast goose was the main bird to feast upon until the Plymouth colonists discovered that the turkey was just easier to catch here in the "new world" than trying to shoot at a goose.
    However, the location where the first Thanksgiving took place, lobster, geese, seal, cod and duck were more abundant than the wild turkey, but these could not be proven to be on the menu.

teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

James, you have taught me new facts about Thanksgiving!  I would love to hear how you tell your stories.  Those turkeys just don't know how to hide!

3. Michele Travis profile image72
    Michele Travisposted 5 years ago

James Peters gave a better answer.  We usually thank God for the gifts He has given us.  The children He has given us, so the know how thankful we are that in our  lives.  How much we love them.  We love our families, and how close we all are.  That we love God, and He loves us.  That is what we usually thank God for.  Then we let each one of the children give a thanks.  Sometimes the younger ones thank God for a toy.  That is ok,  we don't mind.  It has changed when they get older.

teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like the way your family keeps the perspective of giving thanks  the main focus of your celebration.  I find that little ones sometimes say the funniest grace, but they are so sincere.  To them, this is what they are truly thankful.

Closed to reply

working