What Is The History Of Valentine's Day And What Are Some Valentine's Day Traditi

1. PhoenixV profile image71
    PhoenixVposted 4 years ago

What Is The History Of Valentine's Day And What Are Some Valentine's Day Traditions?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Okay - I got this from Dear Abby's column the other day.

According to npr.org, the celebration of Valentine's Day started in ancient Rome and contains elements of both Christian and pre-Christian religions. In the third century A.D., two men named Valentine were executed by the emperor Claudius II in different years on Feb. 14, and a few hundred years later, a pope (Gelasius I) combined St. Valentine's Day with Lupercalia -- a fertility feast -- to replace the pagan ritual. (Research this online if you wish, because I found it fascinating.) The holiday didn't become romanticized until the Renaissance.

I have no idea if it is accurate.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 4 years ago

The roots of Valentines Day were planted by ancient Pagan belief. This was a fertility celebration usually performed around February 15. Lupercalis, or Lupercalia, is what the ancient people of Rome called this festival. Although the history of this holiday is obscure and has numerous legends and lore surrounding it, Valentine's Day, as we now know it, contains both Christian and Pagan traditions. read more