jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Why is a Leprechaun

1. blessedp profile image80
    blessedpposted 3 years ago

Why is a Leprechaun

Associated with St. Patrick's day?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9004401_f260.jpg

2. Evan Gill profile image59
    Evan Gillposted 3 years ago

There are two speculated reasons.

One idea is that the two are connected because a leprechaun is a symbol of good luck, and that St. Patrick must have had good luck to finally escape his Irish captors.

Another idea is that in America, all the symbols associated with the Irish people have become one all-Irish holiday with shamrocks, leprechauns, blarney, green beer, and getting drunk at bars just part of the traditions.

Another theory is that the original Irish were indeed leprechauns--which seems the less likely of the three.

Source:
    http://www.experts123.com/a/why-are-lep … s-day.html

Couldn't you just google it yourself?

blessedpposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer Evan Gill.
      Yes, I could have Googled it.  But if I did, I wouldn't get the opportunity to read your speculated answers.

3. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

Among the ancients of Erin, the shamrock represented the three faces of the Goddess (Mother, Maiden and Crone). The leprechauns, who acknowledged the Goddess as much as any living creature, fashioned their shillelaghs (walking sticks) from dried shamrock root as a show of humility for the Goddess, on Whose earth they journey. Of course, when the land was Christianized the Goddess was revamped to correspond with the new religion and she was now known as the "Virgin Mother" or Mother of God. As St. Patrick was a Christian saint, in time the connotations between leprechaun lore and the saint's patron day meshed together. Much the same with the shamrock itself; where once it symbolized the faces of the Goddess, it is viewed as a symbol of the holy trinity by many modern Christians.

blessedpposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Interesting facts @bethperry.  Thanks for your answer.

2. bethperry profile image92
      bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

YW smile

working