jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How old were you when you stopped knocking on doors for Halloween?

1. Omeva profile image72
    Omevaposted 2 years ago

How old were you when you stopped knocking on doors for Halloween?

2. chuckandus6 profile image76
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

I was around 12 years old, i loved dressing up for halloween and of course the candy

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure that I was 13 or 14. My elementary school went up to the sixth grade (they didn't switch it to middle school until a year later). So I think I got away with it a little longer.

4. Amanda108 profile image92
    Amanda108posted 2 years ago

I was 13 or 14. I stopped because my best friend was no longer trick-or-treating and because I was tired of hearing passive aggressive comments from the houses about my being tall, insinuating that I was too old to have innocent fun - should I perhaps have been out causing mischief instead, I wondered? Would they prefer to receive a "trick" over letting me cling to a favorite childhood activity by giving me a "treat"?

This is not to imply I was out for revenge. I never once harmed a house. But it seemed (and still does) a bit hypocritical to me, that the same adults who were always worried about teenagers behaving on Halloween also wanted to keep said teenagers away from an activity that would keep them out of trouble and let them retain a bit of childlike innocence for at least one evening.

All to say that while I stopped then, I actually started again last year! Unintentionally, but I was walking two young girls around when one wanted to return home. The other was so disappointed that I threw on a quick costume and went with her. And had fun! As people always say, Halloween is a time when you don't have to be yourself. For me I see Halloween as a time when it's acceptable to be childish and nostalgic and joyful. If someone wants to dress up and run through the night to knock on doors and collect candy because it gives them a giggle or a thrill, go for it - no matter what the age!

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

I was 13 or 14 when I stopped, but started back when I was in college for a couple years.  College town and a lot of college students were doing it.