Throw a movie themed birthday party
A Movie Party is great for all ages!
Would you like to have a movie themed birthday party? Are you looking for an easy birthday party idea for a teen or a tween? A movie birthday party is perfect for kids of all ages. My daughter recently turned 12 and she wanted a movie party for her birthday celebration. We came up with some fun party activities and food for her Movie Birthday Party. She decided to make her party a sleepover party since that seemed to fit in well with a late night movie. Read on to find games and activities, an adorable Popcorn Birthday Cake, and movie themed party favors.
Make a Popcorn Birthday Cake - This cake is so easy to make
I used a box mix and can of icing for this cake.You can click on the "cake" link to get step-by-step how-to directions to make this fabulous cake. All I needed to add was some decorator icing and some kettle corn for this adorable cake.
Some fun activities for your Movie Party
Watching a movie is the main activity that we planned, however, we did come up with some other fun things to do during my daughter's movie birthday party. The kids all had fun and had a great time playing some games before the movie. Here are some fun things to do in addition to watching the movie:
- Play "Who Am I?" As the girls arrived, I pinned a character name on their back. They could ask yes or no questions to find out what movie character they were. I used Disney Princesses to make this easy for the girls to guess since they were all familiar characters.
- Play Movie Trivia (I used Disney Movies for our trivia game since most of the girls had seen many Disney movies.)
- Play Movie Bingo (This one was done during the movie itself--more info below in this lens.)
- Walk the Red Carpet (The girls had fun giving each other makeovers with make-up and hairdos, then they took turns walking the red carpet and being announced to the other party guests.)
- Visit the concession stand (I gave out play movie money and the girls could "purchase" snacks at the concession stand for the movie.)
- Tye-Dye T-shirts (Okay, so this one wasn't totally movie-related, but put teen and tween girls together, give them a white t-shirt and some tye dye bottles and watch the fun happen!)
- Make Your Own Sundae Bar (Making sundaes was more fun than just eating ice cream with the cake.)
- Have a Movie themed pinata.
Don't forget the Popcorn!
I must have popped at least 3 pounds of popcorn kernels. I would recommend popping more than you think you will need. I had bags popped for each girl and a few extra bowls for refills. The girls loved having popcorn during the movie and they snacked on it all evening. I just love my Orville Redenbacher hot air popcorn popper! You can add all kinds of fun flavors to your popcorn and serve them in popcorn bags.
I love my Orville Redenbacher Hot Air Popcorn Popper!
I love air popped popcorn. I prefer my popcorn without salt and oil as a healthy snack, but my kids like it salted and oiled. My air popper works so quickly and then I can add any seasonings to the bowl. That way we can all have the kind of popcorn we like. I use it so often that I don't bother to put it away; it sits on my counter at all times. Popcorn is a cheap healthy snack--full grain and flavorful!
Movie Bingo is fun to play during the movie
I printed out bingo cards with things that would appear in the movie. We chose objects, people and places that were specific to the movie my daughter had chosen, then the girls played bingo during the movie. I cut out little stars with a scrapbooking tool and used these as bingo markers.
You can generate your own bingo cards using any words you choose here: Print Bingo Cards.
Movie Themed Pinata - What's a party without a pinata?
I made my own pinata for my daughter's party. I made it in about 20 minutes and I think it cost a grand total of $3.50. Kids of all ages like pinatas. With lots of kids (I have 7), I need to be frugal. I simply use paper bags as the candy bags and make my own pinatas with a paper grocery bag.
Here's a Movie Party Game in a box
What better game for a party than Scene it? Here's a Disney version. No prior planning needed, just open the box and the fun begins. Fun for all ages!
Movie Themed Party Favors - Use plastic popcorn boxes as your party favor boxes
I got each girl a plastic popcorn box as a party favor box. We didn't use these during the movie, since we didn't want them to be greasy. We filled them with boxes of Movie candy, pencils and mini notebooks, lip gloss and glow sticks that they could use during the movie.
Get these Great Movie Party Favor Boxes
The kids will love their popcorn party favor boxes! Fill them with movie size candy, glow sticks, stickers and more.
Scenes from our Movie Themed PartyClick thumbnail to view full-size
Make your Movie Party Authentic! - Get these special products!
The kids were delighted to have their popcorn from these bags. These are the bags pictured in my photo above.
Pop extra for the movie! That way the party guests can refill their individual bags throughout the movie.
What is your favorite Theme Party?
What is your favorite theme for a birthday party?
Here are more ideas for you
- Birthday Party Ideas: Movie Theater party
Here you will find a list of all kinds of Movie Birthday Parties that were submitted by regular folks like you and me. Read through them and choose what you like.
- An outdoor Movie Night Party
Here's how to throw an outdoor movie party in the summer (not necessarily a birthday party, but hey, have a few friends over and have a party anyway!)
- Regal Movie Theater Birthday Parties
If you'd like to throw your birthday party at a Regal Theater, here's more information.