- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
Accolades vs. traffic vs. making money, writing for a living. How to?
It is as easy as ABC
Let there be no doubt about making money from content production on the internet.
Good writers with big followings and a little extra work can make decent money on the internet. It is very true. If someone laughs at you and says you cannot and they know by first hand experience --- just put the gun down and walk away. Not everyone can. Running your own business is not for everyone. I have done it, but in a different way than most.
As for my writing just for my personal writing business, I only tried for a few weeks, and made enough to eat. Since then my day job picked up (do not give up your day job) so I have only been writing for pleasure and to build a "portfolio" concept. I generally just pontificate as I have some some degrees in philosophy and I preach.
It is my goal to write creatively, exclusively within two years. Maybe that will happen, maybe not. In fact it is still good for me to get going and get out, and socialize through work. I do not think I would surface much if I could pay all the bills from my home office and without real interaction with folks.
Really I did not eat that Oreo cookie
So how do the self-employed Pros do it.
1. They write and they write and they write and they write. They re hard wire their circuits so most thought goes around in their head and comes out a story of some sort.
2. They somehow enjoy the process of learning. Some see all that they learn as something they must pass on to others in their writing. Of course they learn about writing, but they learn what you are supposed to do to make money. They know there is no one trick or magic, they know they must spend the time learning all the methods.
3. Application. Like any good job they do their work. Like most entrepeneurs they work 70 or more hours per week, most of it writing which they like to do.
4. They do not make mistakes. That may sound harsh but they do not. A mistake is when you publish something you should not and also when you try to cheat. The big bad ass boys in the megacorps know what hurts their business. Shape up and do not hurt their business. And for readers and followers --- bite your tongue put your rapier wit aside and either walk away or find something positive to say.
How I make money on the internet.
Do you know what a FAQ is? Or how about a TOS. How about Policies and Procedures? How about disclaimers? How about the UDRP, or that "agreement" you swore you read by checking the box. Ever responded to or sent a cease and desist letter. Well there is a reasonable chance you may have even read some of those. Well someone has to write them.
Fairly boring work if you can get it. It was exiting when I started back in 1999 there were still areas where the law could not keep up with the internet. While existing law covered most of the areas, lawyers being what they are felt a need to complicate things with new rules and concepts.
I remember the first time I was directed into Federal Court on such matters, the Magistrate wanted a 30 minute lecture on just how you can "own" a Domain Name. Of course you cannot but you do have some "ownership rights" like a ticket to a seat to watch a ballgame. As I was talking I heard snickering behind me and there was another magistrate, two judges and a few clerks in the gallery. A judge asked, why don't you have a license to practice law? Of course I quipped borrowing from Sierre Madre -- I don't need no stinking badges; Ooops. Then I went on to explain with this new internet deal - "where would a lawyer get a license, I mean what state?" If he answers a question on line or writes material on line isn't he practicing law without a license everywhere in the world except his own state? And to this day, there is an unwritten rule not to chase down lawyers who technically break this law -- but make no mistake they are breaking it. Most of the work is done by non-lawyers to avoid this problem.
If you love to write as I do well: Where there is a will there is a way. One thing I caution you about: Do not let it become like an addiction. Do not become and online workaholic. If you do not bring in life to your work, your work will lose it's life.
About the accolades verses traffic verses monetizing: Just like mind body and soul, none can exist without the other in this world. You are one body made up of parts of the body. The head may not like the foot so much but they need each other in order to move about and do well.
view quiz statistics