- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Magazines, Newspapers & Letters
Business letter formats
Which business letter format to use?
If you have ever had to compose a business letter (people still do that these days), whether you are sending in online, or by mail, you have wondered which business letter format to use. There are some common letter formats that are still used in business correspondence today and here are a few of them.
Semi block format example
Semi block format
In semi block format, you letter set up has the following characteristics:
1. The sender address center-aligned
2. The Receiver's address is left aligned
3. The paragraphs are indented
4. There are no spaces between the paragraphs
5. The complimentary close lines up with the Sender's address
block style example
The block letter format is characterized by the following
1. Center-aligned sender contact information
2. Left-aligned receiver information
3. No indentations of the paragraphs
4. A blank line between paragraphs
5. Center-aligned complimentary close
Full block format example
Full block format
Full block business letter format is one of the most common business letter formats is characterized by the following:
1. All parts of the letter are left aligned
2.No indentations of the paragraphs
3. A full space between paragraphs
Simplified format example
Simplified letter format
Simplified business letter format is a lot like full block letter format.
1. Everything is left aligned.
2. There is a full space between paragraphs
3. Paragraphs are not indented
Where it is different is that there is no salutation (just an attention line). And there is a signature block instead of the more common complimentary close. This format is used if your message is short and sweet, such as in a transmittal situation.
Notice how all letter formats are single spaced (not double spaced), with a space between paragraphs. Ideally, a letter should fit on one page.
- Notice too, that all letters have a date between the Sender and Receiver contact information
- Also, paragraphs in letters tend to be relatively short (no more than five lines). This makes the letter easy to read and to skim and scan.
Except for the simplified format, choosing a particular business letter format is a matter of choice, and there is no one style that is better than the other. It's still important, though that your letter be packaged nicely for your reader, and for those formal situations when a letter is required.
The video below describe all these points.
Business letter formats video
- How to write a business email
f you want to know how to write a business email, understand that it is simple but not always easy. Here are some things you need to know
- Six tips for effective business writing
Improving business writing doesn't have to be a chore. There are some straightforward things you can do to turn your letters, email, memos or reports for your job into sparkling readable docments For many people business writing may comprise 20 to 50
- How to write a reference letter
t happens- you open your email and there is a request for a letter of reference. You know that a glowing recommendation letter can make or break a job application, but oftentimes when approached, you don't quite know what to say; here are some tips o
- Resume writing tips: Nine things to leave off your r...
Most resume writing experts will tell you what to include in your resume. Here are some tips about what not to include
- Nine cover letter mistakes
Your cover letter is the first contact you will have with an organization you want to work with, so it's crucial that you be sure you don't make any of these cover letter mistakes which can kill your chances to be called in for an interview
- Seven tips for creating an effective email cover let...
The email cover letter is a relatve newcomer on the job search scene. Yet, because of the increase in electronic applications, recruiters are welcoming brief emails that preview your application instead of a hard copy letter. If you can get the reade
- Six reasons to use cover letter software
Cover letter software can help you gain a competitive advantage in today's job market. What exactly is cover letter software? It's a tool that can help you generate a professional letter in minutes without you having to do much typing or composing. I
- Writing an instructional memo
Most business memos are informational, and chances are if you are writing one, you will be writing an instructional memo. Here are some pointers for writing this kind of memo.