Find How You Can Get Kindle Books without a Kindle using PC, Mac, phones & more
Why Read Kindle books?
Did you know that you can get Kindle books on your computer or your netbook, your table or even your mobile phone? You might be wondering what the benefit of this might be. Even if you don't have a Kindle, there are many reasons you might want to buy and read Kindle books in an alternative format. For example:
- Books on Kindle are often cheaper than buying a physical copy, often over 20% less.
- There are many thousands of free books available on Kindle. These include thousands of out of copyright classics available for free. Also the number of these increases annually as time pass to include a bigger variety of authors
- Amazon run free book promotions all of the time. Individual authors often start a book at a bargain low price and build up the price slowly so there can be great benefit to keeping an eye on what is available daily.
- An increasing number of books are only available on Kindle, including short books and books by Indie authors or new authors just starting out
- Many out of print, foreign and hard to find books are readily available on Kindle but expensive or difficult to find elsewhere
- You can get Kindle books instantly at the click of a button, you don't need to wait days or weeks to get them delivered and run the risk that by the time you get it, you have started reading something and it goes in a bookcase never to be pulled out again!
- You get a free first chapter (or two) for every book available on Kindle, great for helping you decide whether to buy a book (more on this below)
Kindle for PC Computer
Presumably if you are reading this you have a computer, or access to one. Therefore, you can very easily download a free Kindle Reader program to let you read Kindle books at home on your PC. Please do not be put off thinking this is complex or challenging; you simply just need to click on the following link.
Then click the download now button. You'll need either Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, but most PCs these days run one of these operating systems. When prompted, click Run, then wait for it to download and install. When it's finished, it should open automatically, and it will put an icon on your computer so you can access it anytime. To buy something or get a free sample, search for a book on Amazon. Then click either ' Buy Now' or 'Send Sample Now'. Underneath, there will be a drop down box for where to deliver it to. It should default to Kindle for PC, unless there are other devices registered to your Amazon account. (It will probably say MR's Kindle for PC or MRS' Kindle for PC, or something like that, as it takes the first couple of letters of your name/title!)
Kindle App runthrough
Kindle App for Other Devices
You can also get Kindle reading apps for a Mac computer, iPad, iPhone and Android phones. Click on the link below for more details. You can also go straight to the App Store through your specific device to download it.
The process for ordering books or samples is the same as for the PC App, although on phones you can use the app to order books directly.
A bit of a book
You may not fancy reading a full book using your computer/ notebook/ tablet/ phone. Equally you might not want to buy a Kindle either because of the cost or because you prefer a physical book or for another reason. However, it is true that reading a single chapter can be an absolute godsend. Life really is too short for books you don't enjoy, but you can use this function limitless times to read one or two chapters of more or less any book you can buy on Kindle. I think this gives even the paper book lover a great tool to get a feel for a book and even to give new books they might never normally read a try for the first time.