Mackinac Island, Michigan and "Somewhere In Time"
HubNuggets: The Final Delicacy
These are the voyages of the HubPages Galley; its continuing mission, to seek out new writers and new Hubs, to serve up the Tastiest Nuggets, and to boldly read what creative writers prepare!
Your mission is to read the 6 HubNugget Wannabe-nominated Hubs in each of the 3 popular HubPages Topics we showcase this week. Then, please vote for your favorite Hub among each set of 6. At the end of a week, your votes will select a Top 9 Official HubNuggets that will be announced in the Forum and in the HubPages Weekly Newsletter that reaches some 80,000 people. Anyone can vote; you don't need to be a member of HubPages to vote for your favorites.
Your mission is to ask all your friends, associates, and family members to vote for your nominated Hub on this site (but please don't spam by placing your Hub link in a Comments box or a Forum post. Thanks!) Anyone can vote and no voter is required to be a HubPages member.
Best Wishes, and congratulations to you all!
A Banquet of Writing Talent
This week, our trio of HN Team members that graduated from French Cooking Academy with Chef Jacques a fortnight ago [see HubNuggets Trio in France] present special banquet. We hope you enjoy it.
The HubNuggets Team operates under the direction of our leaders and guides Jason Menayan, Maddie Ruud, Simone Smith, and Fawntia Fowler. Our Special Correspondent that sometimes reports HN Weekly Missions and greets all of our Wannabes every week is ripplemaker. Various sidekicks also pop in occasionally.
One of our hobbies is Time Travel, so we honor the current HubPages Marks the Spot contest as we Chefs travel back in time to Michigan's picturesque Mackinac Island. There, we serve up our HubNuggets Wannabes during a convention of film fans annually at the Grand Hotel: the Somewhere In Time (S.I.T.) Weekend.
A clip from a recent S.I.T. weekend to the right and a romantic 5-minute tribute video at the end of this page explain it all.
Here's what occurred in preparation before you arrived:
Somewhere in Time Weekend
Welcome to The Grand Hotel
Receiving the Message
The Grand Hotel
The culinary graduates, their entourage, and their equipment arrived by high-speed ferry at Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel. It was marvelous to see the greenspace and historic buildings and to take in the astonishing scents of fresh lake air and water as we listened to the clip clop of horse drawn carriages.
We set up HQ in the main hotel kitchen and took stock of the inventories. There was no food. The cupboards were bare. We new this mission would not be a breeze.
Suddenly, a disposable cell phone in the center of the main prep table rang. I answered it and received this recorded message:
Recorded Message: Chef P.I., your culinary mission, if you choose to accept it, is to prepare a banquet for HubPages Readers at the Grand Hotel for the Somewhere in Time weekend. You are charged with serving up 18 deluxe HubNugget Wannabes during the event.
You will have the camaraderie of your fellow Stainless Steel Chefs, Zsuzsy Bee and RedElf, with the assistance of Chef de Partie P8Bleu, who was eavesdropping on the Team's French Cooking Certifications and Pastry Chef Ringo Starr, whose specialty is the Admiral Halsey butter pie - or butter tarts (this is unclear).
Chef Ringo: Wait a mo' - I'm a Doctor, not a Chef!
Recorded Message: We thought you were a retired drummer...The Team will begin with no food, no menu, and no microwave ovens. You must serve 80,000+ Readers. Fortes fortuna adiuvat.* ...This message will self destruct in 3,2,1...Shoom!
[Microwave incinerates and phone disintegrates.]
Chef P8Bleu: Snicker snack!
The Banquet Setup
Chef Zsuzsy Bee had already compiled a vivid menu of banquet courses during our studies in France - but so many people to serve! Chef RedElf and I would provide some additional wonders (My childhood cooking experiments came in useful.)
At the sight of no food in the pantry, we took a few minutes to think and came together:
Chef Zsuzsy Bee - We have at least one menu composed, we have a High Speed Ferry, and we have the island's Fort Mackinac Tea Room pantry at our disposal. I've just got off the phone -- One of the soldiers at the fort is a friend of mine from way back. He and his troop of historical actors will march the food down to us for the French Menu.
Chef RedElf - That's fast work and good connections. May we see your menu again?
Chef Zsuzsy Bee - Mai Oui! It is in the newspaper.
Chef P8Bleu: Speedy!
HubNuggets Classified Ads
Come to the Banquet!
Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island
Friday September 24, 2010
A total of 18 HubNuggets Wannabes will be presented for your consideration, along with three menus of international favorites.
For your delight, The French Menu
- Calamari Frits - Crisped calamari with basil tomato sauce.
- Crepe Enchanté - Crepes with sautéed garlic chicken, onions, Parmesan, béchamel sauce; with wilted mixed greens.
- Red Snapper - Served whole with sautéed vegetables and sauces.
- Green Soup - A blend of potatoes, collard greens, and sausage.
- Rum Cake - A raisin cake in caramel sauce, with whipped cream.
Which one of this week's Sports and Recreation nominees is your favorite?
- 21% Camping Checklist - A Beginner's Guide
- 4% Bowling "How To": Throwing Strikes
- 3% The World's Best Spots for Heliskiing
- 2% 2010 University of Michigan Football Predictions
- 65% Reasons to Start Running Today
- 4% How to Choose a Pocket Knife - The Five Best Folding Knife Companies
This poll is now closed to voting.
The Sports and Recreation Nominees
- Camping Checklist - A Beginner's Guide
Are you contemplating going camping for the first time?You are at the right place!I am here to give you a complete checklist of all the camping gear that you will require when you are out there in the...
- The World's Best Spots for Heliskiing
Heliski in Turkey by Alex Grechman - http://www.flickr.com/photos/grechman/3314167746/ Even though a heliski vacation is barely ever mentioned outside of a close-knit group of well-to-do vacationers who love...
- Reasons to Start Running Today
Running can be one of the most rewarding habits to work into your life. Many people start running every year with hopes of shedding those extra pounds, improving their cardio and simply better their lives. A...
- How to Choose a Pocket Knife - The Five Best Folding Knife Companies
Every man needs a knife in his pocket, and every woman a knife in her purse. There are so many times every day when string needs to be cut, boxes and packages opened, apples peeled, and pencils sharpened...
- 2010 University of Michigan Football Predictions
We know every game of the 2010 season will start this way for the wolverines the question is how will the games end. QB: There has been much hype during this off season about the emergence of Denard Robinson
- Bowling "How To": Throwing Strikes
All bowlers have one thing in common: they all want to bowl strikes. A strike is knocking down all the pins with the first ball in a frame (turn), and a score sheet full of “X's” is the most desired...
The Canadian Menu
Chef RedElf was eager to prepare the Canadian Fusion dishes she'd developed. She was aided by Ringo and P8Bleu as well as Ringo's old mate Paul, who was temporarily a concessionaire at the weekend event (Capt. Shirley Anderson, retired, changed the time line, so the Beatles were out of work). It was quite a prep line, as you can see in the photo.
The Canadian Fusion Menu
- Foie Gras Poutine: Russet fries with foie gras gravy and smoked Gouda.
- Grass-fed Beef Dumplings with sweet sesame noodles.
- Duck Sausage Perogies in walnut cream sauce.
- Champagne Glazed Cauliflower.
- Goat Cheese and Sage Mashed Potatoes.
- Lemon Marmalade Cranberry Sauce.
A Need for Fun and Games
Which one of this week's Games, Toys, and Hobbies nominees is your favorite?
- 6% FFXIV Newbie Botanist Guide
- 0% Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition
- 35% The Wisdom We Had As Children
- 13% Top 10 Toys List
- 6% Greatest PC Games You Never Heard Of
- 39% My Old Yacht
This poll is now closed to voting.
Please do us the honor of voting for your favorite!
The Games, Toys, and Hobbies Nominees
- FFXIV Newbie Botanist Guide
Three days ago I covered FFXIV Fishing. I was going to post this two days ago but I was caught up playing “Might and Magic: World of Xeen” and “Might And Magic: Day of the Destroyer”.Good times. And...
- janecidro on HubPages
It's that time of year again, back to school. With the school year starting, children will be invited to birthday and holiday parties. For many people Christmas shopping has also begun. Make it easier on...
- My Old Yacht
As I sit here reminiscing about my past, looking for writing material, and thinking whimsical thoughts, and of course then realizing how stressed the world has become today, I am gently wafted back to when I...
- Greatest PC Games You Never Heard Of -- With today's big budget mainstream PC gaming industry, advertisements are everywhere for games. Mr T for WOW, Fallout 3 posting in subways, its popping up all over. With so much advertising we can't miss a...
- Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition
If you are not familiar with this game and have not bought the game yet, than I highly encourage you to take a look at the Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition, which is one of the best and richest in content.
- The Wisdom We Had As Children
Why do we sometimes forget what makes us happy? We should look to our inner child to remember who we were and what we wanted. We used to dream of impossible things that we wanted to be.
Happily, we completed our HubNugget: Impossible mission with more fun and good reading than Food Network's Dinner:Impossible. Thanks for attending the Somewhere In Time Weekend and we hope you enjoy your last batch of HubNuggets Wannabes for dessert, below. We'll do the dishes.
The Colonial Menu
Mackinac Island and surrounding territories have been home to First Nations and American Bison. However, many more members of both synods lived back in the 1770s, where our friend HubNugget Hank was suspended in time.This gave me an idea.
I'd had a mirror resurfaced recently. He was an old HubNugget friend with Alice Through the Looking Glass powers. I charged him with contacting Hank. He agreed. Mirror dialed him up and Hank sent through the following dishes from Great Lakes history, circa 1771.
The Great Lakes American Menu
- Bison Steaks with Caper Sauce.
- Lake Trout Almandine.
- Wilted Kale and Red Onion Salad.
- Pumpkin Walnut Pudding.
- Egg Pie with Apples and Currants.
- Michigan Cranberry Tarts.
Which one of this week's Home nominees is your favorite?
- 21% Armless Furniture Living Room Chairs
- 31% Rental Housing Guide
- 21% Rock Garden Ideas - Creating a Rockery Garden
- 0% Lined Curtains as Decorative Window Treatments
- 7% DIY Compost bin
- 21% Decorating Tricks to Make a Small Space Look Larger
This poll is now closed to voting.
The Home Nominees
- Armless Furniture Living Room Chairs
Armless living room chairs are a great idea for adding some style and class to your home. Not to say other types of furniture living room chairs are not acceptable or of a lower class at all,but armless...
- DIY Compost bin
This is a great and inexpensive way to make your own compost bin. A compost bin both aids in the composting and also makes the general area nicer to look out. We used your basic garbage can with attachable...
- Kadie* on HubPages: Decorating Tricks to Make a Small Space Look Larger
Many people live in smaller spaces for different reasons; whether it is because they cannot afford to live in a bigger house at the moment, smaller spaces seem more inviting and practical to them, or they...
- Lined Curtains as Decorative Window Treatments: Are you looking for new window treatments, but don't know where to start? Lined window curtains can add a unique, decorative touch to any room. Also, they have a number of advantages compared to traditional...
- Rental Housing Guide: Consider these critical things before your next move.
- Rock Garden Ideas - Creating a Rockery Garden: A good rockery garden is fascinating and rewarding. Alas, it's not easy to make.
*Fortune favors the brave (or bold)
© 2010 Patty Inglish MS