- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
Ideas for summer vacation
Ideas for summer vacation
The weather is very pleasant now in this part of India. The advent of Monsoon is just coloring the sky with lush clouds some times and sometimes it’s just typical summer flavor all round. The summer vacation has already started in most of the schools or about to start here in Assam and India as a whole. Summer vacations are the time all children wait to enjoy the leisure time and to break free from the monotonous routine of school, studies, tuitions etc. It is a time quite filled with sweat, mud, rains, wet clothes, power cuts due to load shedding, unbearable heat, water logging in the roads, thunderstorms, some unwanted insects around etc. But this time has its own savory taste. All adults have different kind of nostalgia for sure about their own summer vacations. All the ingredients of this particular time bring lots of feelings and memories about family events, get together, friends to the mind of the so called serious and busy adults.
For nuclear families in a city like Guwahati it’s little difficult as there are not many options open for the parents for children’s summer activities. If there are some options also, then it’s difficult to adjust the schedules of work with the timings. Then again for any working Mom its more difficult to plan this time. Further the situation just gets worse when one have single growing child. With two children its little bit adjustable as at least they both have company with each other. But working-mom-single- child syndrome is a very common situation in every other household in this part of the country. Yeah, I have an 11 years and 8 months old son in class VI who is the inspiration behind this exercise of punching keys on the laptop with some brain activities for all the friends out there.
For the children these vacations are the time to freshen up for the next study season and to catch up with some other extra- curricular activities. Here are some ideas (mainly for full time working Moms) to plan activities for the summer vacations which may seem useful to others:
· Revision of study: To schedule the timings with work hours for revising the subjects so that one can just take a mock exam after coming from work. This should be done with fix time and total marks with a question paper for the test to make it more religious. One subject a day will sure make a nice one week productive utilization leaving the weekend for some family time. Then another 2 days can be planned with minor subject tests in the second week. Any home works and project assignments research work can be planned for the other three days of the second week. All the test result whatever it is should be treated with some little presents to make it fun and enjoyable as two weeks is planned to be absorbed with in-house activities that too related with studies.
· Project assignments: Third week may be nicely utilized with the completion of project works. The research for the project works involving the internet, out of course books and team work with friends may make the whole exercise more serious which in turn make our little adults more responsible for their home works. But while allowing working in team and uses of internet should be done under strict parental supervision. If we plan little in advance then it will be possible to adjust our work schedule with some holidays or after work hours to keep an eye on our little ones.
· Arranging some children get-together: Our ‘Little adults’ sure deserve some fun. We can plan some get together with their friends. It may be done at home or at some common place like parks, restaurants, etc. Let them do the planning with guest list, menu, decorations, events, music, and other relevant things and in the process they will learn many things. With little effort and cost involvement one can teach them lots of things like organizing, logistical need, planning, cleaning etc.
· Night Stay: Night stay in friends place can be real fun. So it should be encouraged as this can teach them to mingle with other families and help them to strengthen their communication skills. Many times they see off their parents and they will sure enjoy the change that they will go out for a night to stay with friends. When our child will invite another friend to stay overnight he/she may be asked to plan everything including the menu and anything they want to do under parental supervision.
· Household works: No matter boy or girl but little household works should be taught to them and this is the most ideal time for that. Even little cooking under parental guidance should be taught for self independence. They should be encouraged and praised accordingly. Little reward after the work is done will teach them the value of earning as well as work.
· Outings: A trip outside, distant or nearby always refreshes the family bond. This is a must for a busy family as it gives the required break from the mundane life and the tight schedule. If budget does not allow for a lavish trip outside then a shoe string nearby weekend trip also adds the zing to the family life. Time off with spouse and kids may be the best way to bid good bye to the summer vacation till the next year before reopening of school.
· Hobby Time: During the whole vacation, some times should be kept aside every day for hobby time. Every child has some hobbies. So they should be given ample time to indulge in their favorite hobbies during this much awaited summer vacation.
These are some of the ideas just thrown which has many options to be pondered. All are much welcome to add into the list of activities and planning as how they plan to liven up these vacations and to fill the times of their kids. So let us all enjoy the summer vacations!!!!!!