Indie Author Day 2016 - Author Interview with Jan Notzon
About the Author
- What made you decide to become an indie author? What do you like to write about?
As an indie author, I have more control over the contents. I like to choose my beta readers as what I write I like to think is challenging. I hope to enlighten and provoke thought as well as entertain.
2. How did you publish your first book?
My first book, The Dogs…Barking was self-published through Xlibris.
3. Did you ever try to submit to traditional publishers? If so, what was your experience like?
I tried, through small publishing companies, but I found them to be as overrun with submissions as the big companies. I’d rather spend my precious little time writing.
4. How did you market your first book? Has your process changed with subsequent books?
Well, I was (and am) a novice when it comes to marketing. I did giveaways on goodreads.com and got generally favorable reviews. I’m learning more about marketing through goodreads and Amazon Author Central. My computer skills are stone-age though and finding the time to write, read, work, research and market it a bear!
5. How do you support other indie authors?
I’m trying to learn how to support other authors. I contribute to author support on goodreads, try to encourage other writers and have joined two facebook groups. Again, trying to find time for all this is the problem.
6. What responses have you received from telling people that you are a writer?
People’s responses have generally been positive. I have friends that are my beta readers. They’re encouraging but do tell me when I miss the mark.
7. What/who has been your biggest support as an indie author?
My support is from the mentioned friends, the goodreads author feedback group. I would love to say family, but there are characters based on them that they might not find completely flattering.
8. Quote from a positive review of your work.
“A haunting book with a story that makes the reader examine his or her own life as well as the life of the protagonist. The book is about a man, the trauma his sister is going through and his way of helping her. It is also about the man's love interest and her secret. All things are woven together in a delicious story.
I recommend this book highly.”