- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
The Challenge of Being A Freelance Writer
"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia". ~ E.L. Doctorow
Personally, being a freelance writer, is a way to be heard, published and earn a living. But, the life of a freelance journalist can be very challenging unless you develop specific habits that increase your likelihood of success. The written word is such a powerful tool. It can inform. It can instruct. It can express emotion. It can evoke thoughts and feelings. It can entertain. Writing is very theraputic, a pure invisible psychoanalyst, life coach, cheerleader and nurturer. The author has the freedom to steer his prose in any direction he sees fit. In this day and age, almost everyone has the opportunity, through the internet, to reach out to the the world, spreading his word. Do you enjoy writing? Do you have a personal blog? If not, you should. There are dozens of free online blogging services (Wordpress, Blogger, Tumblr etc.). But, can your writing skills lead to a professional career?
I've always cherished the written word. Whether it be a personal journal in a black marble notebook or online creating posts for the several blogs I've established. Throughout the past year, I've discovered many other online avenues to express myself . And, believe it or not, even been given the opportunity to make money writing on subjects I enjoy sharing or have some expertise in. My articles have been published all over the internet at sites like HubPages, RedGage and Tumblr . As my skills have improved and my journalistic confidence bolstered, I feel my Voice has been established. Freelancing was the next step. But, being a freelance writer takes a certain amount of discipline and structure to be successful.
My Tips And Techniques
* Consistency and Persistence You absolutely have to write everyday! There's no getting around this fact. Your writing doesn't necessarily have to be a contractual assignment. It could be a blog post or commenting on other peoples work, just find a place to practice, improve and elevate your skills. This habit will also teach you how to work through the dreaded "writers block". It forces you to produce. You can always edit later.
* Set aside at least an hour a day to Read This does not include your research reading for freelance articles. Search out established, successful writers and get a feel for their style, voice and technique. Incorporate what you feel will improve your writing.
* Establish Your "Voice" Don't just write "words". Have a personal conversation with your readers. Write like you speak, authentically and sincerely. Your Voice is definitely the most important aspect of developing as a journalist. By establishing your voice, you connect with your audience, make them feel comfortable and keep them coming back.
* Have Fun!!! Choose topics you enjoy writing about, have expertise in or you would love to learn more about.
* Cherish your feedback Whether it be your readers' comments or your editors' critique, use it as a learning tool. If it's positive, build on it, if it's negative, don't take it personally. Take the advice and be a better writer!
Being a freelance writer can be a challenge, but the thrill of your writing being exposed to millions of readers, knowing that your giving them useful information or helping make their life more enjoyable and manageable is rewarding in itself.
If this was enjoyable, helpful or inspiring, please help this freelance writer on his journey to journalistic immortality. Ciao!!!
You May Also Enjoy
- The Enigma: Writer... Or Internet Marketer?
As someone who's been writing online for about a year now, trying to earn a living, I've often questioned: what's my true intention? Am I a writer or internet marketer? The subjects I'm passionate about...
- Enrich Your Life.......It's Child's Play!
From time to time, we all need to step back, center ourselves and evaluate how life's treating us. Are we stressed, tired and disinterested? Or, are we happy, energetic and excited? Maybe somewhere in...
- Positive Vibes
Tomorrow marks a special anniversary, three months have passed since being laid off. Every day is a new adventure that gives me positive vibes about the future.Things happen for a reason, the universe has a...
- The Incredible Power of Now
Every morning we wake to a totally new world. Your staring at a blank canvas that, if it could be personified is screaming,