- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
How To Enlighten the Imagination of A Reader
Untrained Writer Tip
Much like a painter's canvas, with one quick stroke of a writing utensil; writers can instantaneously create, an entire conceptual rendering that will enlighten the imagination of a reader. The Yin-Yang of words like "impermanence" for example, can make a mockery of some writers, or create admirers of foes. They are fun words when put together in theoretical contexts, and challenging words to conquer in philosophical, religious, and spiritual debates. Words like impermanence give writers an infinite treasure trove of resourceful definitions. Readers want to engage their thoughts on material that hosts more compelling arguments. They desire to read wickedly entertaining stories that engulf their imagination. Try to use words that make the reader think. It is that simple.
- Impermanence sounds intriguing in the imaginations of the readers.
- For good creative writing word pirates- its gnosticism is an imaginative adventure.
- As David Farland writes;
"We’re selling pure imagination, and therefore our work must be all the more glorious."
For the purpose of this exercise in creative writing, I selected the word "impermanence" to work with and use.
Weak Writers Use Poor Word Choices
It is crucial that weaker writers, understand the value of good word choices, in their creative writing projects. If a writer is lacking a strong vocabulary, they should never be afraid to admit it. Nine times out of ten, their readers already know it anyway. When it comes to creative writing, having a strong sense of word meanings (and, a good source of simple words to use when writing) are a highly regarded skill set. A great writer continues 'adding to' and 'fine tuning' their self-preserved dictionary.
"The Difference Between Good Writers and Bad Writers" is an article written by creative writing blogger and writing coach Jeff Goins. He writes;
"Good writers take time to write. They craft and re-craft a piece. They spend hours and days, revising. They take criticism and feedback, listening to both the external and internal voices that drive them."
Creative Writing Blogger Interview
A, B, C's of Word Selection
A. The word "impermanence" can be used as a noun or adjective.
→ Words like "impermanence" can also have many different meanings, which make them a great choice for creative writing. Sometimes when a particular word is used in the presence of an opinionated description, is where the reader often discovers the word's intended meaning. The word impermanence is definitively not a word with a singular definition.
B. Which brings me to my next creative writing point. Select words where their true meaning- lies within its personal value.
→ If by chance you are unsure of the philosophical meaning of the adjective word "impermanence", you are not alone. There is nothing written in stone, adhered to its definition with exacting certainty like the word "omniscience" for example. The modern definition of omniscience has been over used, and too often affixed to a Godly figurehead. "Impermanence" is a type of word, which allows its true value to be determined by the writer's usage.
C. Human desires, aspirations, and death influence complex explanations.
→ Therefore letters that formed together to makeup words like "Impermanence"; go far beyond the the margins of pen and paper, and instead they tap into a reader's psyche.
∞ Im·per·ma·nent (m-pûrm-nnt)
adj. Not lasting or durable; not permanent. im·perma·nence, im·perma·nen·cy n.
Its Synonymous meaning...
- Early Buddhism dealt with the problem of impermanence in a very rationale manner. This concept is known as Anicca in Buddhism, according to which, impermanence is an undeniable and inescapable fact of human existence from which nothing that belongs to this earth is ever free. —UrbanDharma.org
8 Word Usage Creative Writing Examples
- "There are no magical spells to conjure up, which will change the impermanency of human life."
- "According to Darwinism, the natural rite of evolution is encompassed in its impermanence."
- "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, as it was in the beginning and now at the end, impermanency is the only permanent fixture in life."
- "People cannot take their material belongings to an after life. Anymore than an after life, will consign itself to the impermanence of materialistic values."
- "In this modern age of biodegradable terminology, life is nothing more than a compose of impermanent organic matter. As with all organic substances, the meaning of life is defined by this decay."
- We are born, we grow up, live our lives, and then we die. Life is bonded together by its impermanence fibers, which make up the fabrics of life."
- "As do all things belonging to this planet. Impermanence is the one common bond that all of us shares together."
- "The one reality in which all humans can count on, is the impermanence of their tribulations."
Hidden Word Association Tip
Much like the original Latin meaning of the word Lucifer, there are certain words with antiquated word associations. Sometimes the modern definition of a word will land flat, on some readers' mind. Find words with rich hidden word associations. Any time a writer decides to engage the elements of life, time, death, light, etc..., there are a millennia's worth of words to chose from. Find those words that will immerse the reader. Introduce a new yet seasoned, determinative, layer associated with a particular word. Antiquated words (in my opinion), are the better word to use when, the writer is wanting to make a story more flavored. Sometimes the modern definition of a word, can be segued as lazy writing.
Remember that in all the vastness of creative writing, writers have been writing about the subjects of time, death, life, light. In the subject of time; all things must end. All worlds, universes and events will have an ending. The phrase "nothing lasts forever" can be written,
"The stark reality of belonging to an impermanent world, truly is the final accentuation of who we are."
Creative Writing Workshop
Create A Word Writing Resource
- The Importance of a Good Dictionary
Do you sometimes stumble over words and wonder which is the right one to choose? But do you then think that if you have used a dictionary to help you it might mean you're not all that clever? Think again...
More information about the word impermanence, courtesy of the free online English dictionary.
Look To This Day...
For it is life, the very life of life.
In its brief course
Lie all the verities and realities of your existence.
The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,
The splendor of achievement
Are but experiences of time.
For yesterday is but a dream
And tomorrow is only a vision;
And today well-lived, makes
Yesterday a dream of happiness
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well therefore to this day;
Such is the salutation to the ever-new dawn! —Kalidasa
(Classical Period Sanskrit Poet and Playwrite from India)
More Writing Tips From The Author
- How to Make A Great Hub for Women
How to attract more women readers to your hub articles, or blogs. Naming the three key components women articles should always include.
- How to Move All Your Hubs Under One Profile
The pros and cons of moving hubs from one profile to another profile name. How to instructions for moving hubs. For Hubbers with Multiple Profile Names