WHILE REDEEMING MY SOUL - Synopsis (Short-Story)
This is my first fiction short story. It was written in December, 2010. Originally it was written with the intent to publish it in the local newspaper, as it strongly relates to the country in which I live and it also relates to some of the major events happened here. It has its patriotic moments.
This story is about a man, Tauseef Siddiqui, and the character's revelation and acceptance of his guilt. It focuses on defying one's fear and stand besides the truth, with utmost integrity and honesty, even at the cost of your life. The theme makes this story a must-read for everyone.
As I earlier mentioned, that this story relates to some of the events happened in my country, I am giving you a bird's eye to understand all the events and the main plot of the story. You can grasp all the matter, and a lot of general information, by reading just a few lines.
1. MAIN CHARACTERS:
1. Tauseef Siddiqui - The main protagonist. An old sick man suffering from lungs cancer.
2. Aisha Tauseef - Tauseef's beloved wife.
3. Rehaan Siddiqui - Tauseef's father and a victim of 1947 riots.
Pakistan & India's Geographical Location
1. Pakistan: A South-East Asian country which got freedom in 14th August, 1947. It parted from India.
2. India: A neighboring country of Pakistan. Prior to the partition, India and Pakistan was a merged state, United India.
3. Lahore: A city of Pakistan, along with the borders of India. Majority of the refugees migrated to Lahore at the time of partition.
4. Amritsar: A city of India.
5. Raja Sansi: A town located near Amritsar in India.
1. 1947 riots: At the time of the great partition, extreme violence, barbarism and rampage was witnessed. According to an estimate, 400,000 people were died during the riots. More than 75,000 women were abducted and/or raped.
2. 27th December 2007: A famous Pakistani politician, Miss. Benazir Bhutto, was assassinated during an election campaign, and riots were started. Hundreds of people died in three days and more than 2 billion rupees assets were burned down. The bestiality and rage were very similar to that of 1947's.