Kylyssa profile image 97

Readers, how do you feel about the use of present tense in fiction?

I have been an avid reader since early childhood. I didn't encounter fiction written in the present tense until I was an adult and then it took the form of juvenile choose your own adventure stories. Its use has become much more common, and I've been seeing quite a bit of it in fiction written for teens. At first, it was a distraction, but I no longer mind it when it's done well. How do you feel about fiction written in the present tense? Present tense: I walk into the room and look around. Past tense: I walked into the room and looked around. photo by Trevor Brady, freeimages.com

cam8510 profile image97

Chris Mills (cam8510) says

• Kylyssa profile image

Kylyssa Shay (Kylyssa) 19 months ago

Thank you for answering. I've noticed it seems to take a careful touch to use it well. For some reason, it works best for me (as a reader) in short fiction.

Chatty Chat profile image90

Cindy (Chatty Chat) says

• Kylyssa profile image

Kylyssa Shay (Kylyssa) 19 months ago

Thanks for answering. I think readers will become more accepting of it as time goes by because it's been showing up so much in teen fiction and this generation will grow up with it. It used to be seen as experimental, but now it's pretty mainstream.