jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Psuedonym Usage

1. Sara Psychedelic profile image86
    Sara Psychedelicposted 3 years ago

As a recent English graduate, I have just started applying for jobs and I am worried about the image I have projected with my pseudonym personality.  Basically, I've had so many names over the years and two years ago I felt like I had finally found what I am--Sara Psychedelic.  However, for the people who don't get what I am about/what I'm trying to accomplish they have pushed and pushed for me to reconsider because 1) The connection Psychedelic has to drugs and 2) It isn't professional like a boring normal pseudonym that sounds like a real name (no offense to anyone who uses this tactic.  Stephen King writes good stuff, but I think even his name is lame)

I feel like I am at a stand still right now.  After trying to get a job as a writer and failing to even get emails saying "we are moving on with the process blah blah", it makes me wonder if I have intimidated people, and if I should really change my name.  I am honestly afraid to put in more jobs because thus far  and all of this pushing has lead me to constant questions and even more of an identity crisis/anxiety problems.  Sara Psychedelic feels like me, who I've been for a very long time...

Anyone out there who can give advice? Hearing from experienced writers would help even more.

2. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

How would a hiring committee know that this was one of your pseudonyms?

1. Sara Psychedelic profile image86
      Sara Psychedelicposted 3 years agoin reply to this

When I provide links in applications/resumes, which I'm not sure if I should do.  I have heard that if you don't, it lessens the chance the employer will consider you.

1. psycheskinner profile image79
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Are you using the name anywhere but here? Because a content site is not going to do much good on a resume.

working