jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How to write Sonnets

1. herrypaul profile image77
    herrypaulposted 15 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13116593_f520.jpg
    The question above maybe it looks too simple, but -even though I studied English Lit four years intensively, even though I have learned English for nine years since I got a Bachelor's degree in English Lit, but I still have found difficulties to write a Sonnet.
    As we know, Sonnets written in two- famous methods: i.e., (1)The English Shakespearean Sonnet and (2)The Italian Sonnet, 1st has a pattern: ababcdcdefefgg, and 2nd : abbaabbacdecde, but we are familiar with the 1st. The Sonnet has a 14-line poem and written in iambic pentameter, and each line contains 10-syllables; the end syllable has a similarity in sound, such as: may, day, die..etc.
    Maybe you have some solutions -So, The question that I want to discuss is: How do you write Sonnets?

2. Jodah profile image86
    Jodahposted 15 months ago

This question is too difficult to answer here. Please refer to my hub titled: Tales of Murder and Suspense (Sonnets Like You've Never Seen Before) where I explain how to write a sonnet and have two examples of sonnets I have written.

1. herrypaul profile image77
      herrypaulposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Jodah. I have read your hub, it seems you like the italian sonnet pattern. Your answer is very useful for me -actually I write the love sonnet: ababcdcdefefgg pattern, but I always find difficulties to the last syllable sound; if I change it  -ten-syllables words in line always changes: sometimes to be 8, or 9, whereas each line must contain 10-syllable.

1. Jodah profile image86
        Jodahposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Herrypaul, Glad that helped.

working