This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How to write Sonnets

1. herrypaul profile image58
    herrypaulposted 22 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13116593_f520.jpg
    The question above maybe it looks too simple, but -even though I studied English Lit four years intensively, even though I have learned English for nine years since I got a Bachelor's degree in English Lit, but I still have found difficulties to write a Sonnet.
    As we know, Sonnets written in two- famous methods: i.e., (1)The English Shakespearean Sonnet and (2)The Italian Sonnet, 1st has a pattern: ababcdcdefefgg, and 2nd : abbaabbacdecde, but we are familiar with the 1st. The Sonnet has a 14-line poem and written in iambic pentameter, and each line contains 10-syllables; the end syllable has a similarity in sound, such as: may, day, die..etc.
    Maybe you have some solutions -So, The question that I want to discuss is: How do you write Sonnets?

2. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 22 months ago

This question is too difficult to answer here. Please refer to my hub titled: Tales of Murder and Suspense (Sonnets Like You've Never Seen Before) where I explain how to write a sonnet and have two examples of sonnets I have written.

1. herrypaul profile image58
      herrypaulposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Jodah. I have read your hub, it seems you like the italian sonnet pattern. Your answer is very useful for me -actually I write the love sonnet: ababcdcdefefgg pattern, but I always find difficulties to the last syllable sound; if I change it  -ten-syllables words in line always changes: sometimes to be 8, or 9, whereas each line must contain 10-syllable.

1. Jodah profile image89
        Jodahposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Herrypaul, Glad that helped.

working