jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

what is meaning of marriage?

1. profile image42
    medo32633posted 8 years ago

what is meaning of marriage?

2. gusripper profile image38
    gusripperposted 8 years ago

It starts very well.But the meaning is not the Marriage,the meaning is what you have done to the past so you have a nice future for your life.Marriage is something happening every day and it concern the present.So you grow up childrens ,trying to have a good affair,leaving a kind of comfortable life.As you see you are doing things always for the future.Thats the reall meaning .Love and etc come and go every day.

3. hometips profile image52
    hometipsposted 8 years ago

It is all about love, trust and a lot of fun.

4. Miss.I.James profile image56
    Miss.I.Jamesposted 8 years ago

Historically, the meaning of marriage means procreation. Before and after the supposed time of Christ, people married to produce children, because bearing children without being lawfully wed was considered sinful, and society looked down on them and their child. However, the times have manipulated what the core meaning of marriage was to begin with. Marriage somehow became to be considered "holy", when actually it just means two people get to have sex without society thinking they're promiscuous.

5. marriedwoman profile image73
    marriedwomanposted 8 years ago

to me, marriage is a union of two souls and heart to become one.  becoming one is the most important thing in marriage. differences is always there because you're two different individual. but it's accepting each others flaws and working your way around it so as to pass through every obstacle is the key for a happy future in marriage.

6. Daniel Carter profile image76
    Daniel Carterposted 8 years ago

Hmmmmm, we're taught so many reasons for the meaning of marriage. I'm not sure I believe any of them. Well, almost none of them. I think we get married to not have to be alone. We are social creatures and we want the comfort of knowing someone is there with us. Children enter in as a natural extension of our sociality. You can get into religion, get into social "norms", etc., but quite frankly, in the end they have little relevance. After all, look at the divorce rate. If social norms and religious dogmas were accurate, we would get married and stay married. But statistics indicate otherwise.

So for me, I think it's about not being alone, about not quite feeling whole all by yourself, adding other person(s) (meaning "children") to try to fill that void.

7. profile image44
    bishnoi29posted 8 years ago

Marriage is a social, religious, spiritual and/or legal union of individuals that creates kinship. This union may also be called matrimony, while the ceremony that marks its beginning is usually called a wedding and the married status created is sometimes called wedlock.

Marriage is an institution in which interpersonal relationships (usually intimate and sexual) are acknowledged by the state, by religious authority, or both. It is often viewed as a contract. Civil marriage is the legal concept of marriage as a governmental institution, in accordance with marriage laws of the jurisdiction. If recognized by the state, by the religion(s) to which the parties belong or by society in general, the act of marriage changes the personal and social status of the individuals who enter into it.

People marry for many reasons, but usually one or more of the following: legal, social, emotional, and economic stability; the formation of a family unit; procreation and the education and nurturing of children; legitimizing sexual relations;

Anthropologists have documented a diverse variety of marriage practices across different cultures. Many competing definitions of marriage have been proposed to capture its essential, cross-cultural characteristics.

In his three volume The History of Human Marriage (1921), Edward Westermarck defined marriage as "a more or less durable connection between male and female, lasting beyond the mere act of propagation till after the birth of the offspring."

The anthropological handbook Notes and Queries (1951) defined marriage as "a union of a man and a woman such that children of the woman are recognized as legitimate by both parents." Because the Nuer of Sudan allow for female-female marriage, Kathleen Gough suggested "a woman and one or more other persons." Nuer female-female marriage is done to keep property within a family that has no sons; It's not a form of lesbianism. A legitimacy-based definition has been criticized as not being universal and as being circular.

Edmund Leach argued that no one definition of marriage applied to all cultures. He offered a list of ten rights associated with marriage, including sexual monopoly and rights with respect to children, with specific rights differing across cultures.

Duran Bell proposed that marriage has traditionally been characterized by sexual access rights, suggesting that modern societies which do not provide for such rights have moved toward a distinct institution.

8. profile image0
    blueraven6posted 8 years ago

Originally, it was to protect women and children.

Now, our laws and conventions have been turned upside down.

I'm a firm believer the answer to problems within marriage lie within the extended family, for all reasons.

My novels get into this in intimate details. :-)

Email me for copies.

[A bald faced ad.]

working