jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is your favorite book?

1. wondergrl profile image54
    wondergrlposted 8 years ago

What is your favorite book?

2. SimeyC profile image96
    SimeyCposted 8 years ago

Wow that, for me, is a very tough question as I've literally read 1000s of books. There are many that really have influenced me and I have a hub dedicated to my top ten books of all times - probably the one that started my interest in reading, and probably is the one book that I continue to go back to and re-read is Lord of the Rings.

There's just so much about it that I love. The characters are great, the descriptions amazing; the writing and poetry are simply superb and the storyline is exciting, dark and full of adventure.

There are other books that rate very highly, such as Grapes of Wrath, but Lord of the Rings somehow beats them all for me!

3. aaramire profile image54
    aaramireposted 8 years ago

Hmm I don't read much but from my high school days I really enjoyed reading The Jungle and The Poison Wood Bible.

I'd have to say my favorite however, is Sophie's World. It sparked my interest in philosophy and over analyzing the world that we inhabit.

4. waterpark1 profile image50
    waterpark1posted 8 years ago

Favorite book of all time is IT by Stephen King. That said, I do not think I would enjoy the read as much as I did when I was a teen. His books tend to take a long time setting up and you can read 100 pages and never get anywhere.
    Favorite book at the moment is a series by Jim Butcher. I am reading the Dresden Files.

5. advisor4qb profile image77
    advisor4qbposted 8 years ago

That comedian, Ron White (he's my favorite comedian thus far), wrote a book that was really good called "I Had the Right to Remain Silent -- But I Didn't Have the Ability."  That guy is a riot!  I just love him!

6. Newsclipper profile image76
    Newsclipperposted 8 years ago

My favorite book is, Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. It tells of his experiences in a concentration camp and describes his psychotherapeutic method of finding a reason to live. I've read it three times and there are still parts that make me shiver.

For light reading, anything by Janet Evanovich, especially her Stephanie Plum series.

7. CrystalStarWoman profile image64
    CrystalStarWomanposted 8 years ago

A very difficult question as I have read and enjoyed so many books over the years... but if I had to choose just one book it would be "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger.

Forget the film - although they made a brave attempt - it was never going to come close to the book! I would heartily recommend it to anyone... Except maybe an aging aunt or grandmother. There are a couple of scenes I can think of (that were not in the film) that would shock some people!

I also loved Weaveworld by Clive Barker, The Mists of Avalon (and the rest of the series) by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Dagger Spell (and the rest of that series) by Katherine Kerr and Clan of the Cave Bear (ditto) by Jean M Auel... and, er... I'd better stop now.

Whatever you do, please don't ask us to name our favourite film!

working