Does grammar and sentence structure turn you away from a book?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. luke0812 profile image57
    luke0812posted 8 years ago

Does grammar and sentence structure turn you away from a book?

Should we not turn from other for speaking slang or jibberish when they get angry or upset.

2. MJFande profile image65
    MJFandeposted 8 years ago

It depends on how good the story is.
    I'm a member of FanStory.com, which is an excellent website for writers. Some of the quality of the writing does turn me away from reading more of that writer's work, but if the story is interesting enough, I'll keep reading.
    I just read the first chapter of a book that someone is working on and it needed a lot of help grammar and punctuation wise, but it was so good that I can't wait until the next chapter is posted for me to read.

3. profile image0
    Chasukposted 8 years ago

Definitely.

A good story is like a good intention. Everybody has at least one. Imagine eating a meal prepared by a cook who had intended to blow your gastronomic mind, but burnt the soup, added too much salt to everything, and used moldy, unwashed strawberries in the desert. Good intentions wouldn't salvage the meal.

4. MickS profile image69
    MickSposted 8 years ago

Only bad grammar and sentence structure.  I can't get into a story if I'm having to sort out what the author means.  These problems are usually sorted out by the sub editor, if the story ever gets to one for publication.
    Tales are full of characters, the language of each of these characters is dependant on their skill in language use, the problem only arises in narrative, which has to be correct.

5. Eric Calderwood profile image81
    Eric Calderwoodposted 8 years ago

It does, but if the story is interesting enough I'll keep reading.  I usually come across these errors in self-published books.

6. profile image50
    meghancsmithnjposted 8 years ago

I believe that it depends on its use. For instance, if an author uses slang or jibberish to use voice when writing, this gives a character personality and is a very effective tool. Yet, if an author uses slang/jibberish when writing constantly, I would have to wonder how they even became a published author in the first place. (That is, of course, if you are referring to published works.)

7. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 8 years ago

Good Day Luke0812

I'm not the grammar police. I like a story to flow well. I like to have the feeling that the author knows what she is doing with words - whatever she chooses to do with them. The writers I enjoy the most are those who seem to be verbal stylists like Mario Puzo, John Grisham, Elmore Leonard, Phillip Roth, and Phillip K. DIck.

Their artistry comes from the very way they put words on the page. All fiction writers are not like this. Reading their stuff is too much like work, so I usually don't get through it. They don't bother with style.

8. R.Cochran profile image82
    R.Cochranposted 7 years ago

Samuel Clemens AKA Mark Twain was one of the best selling authors of all time. When I ask my English teacher about his grammar, I was told it was because of the fact the he wrote in dialect used at the time.Big frickin deal. The stories were good, and that was all that counted to me. To the grammar police and the anal judgmental people who think they are above it all go read Shakespeare in it's original form. You deserve each other.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)