jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Does grammar and sentence structure turn you away from a book?

1. luke0812 profile image58
    luke0812posted 7 years ago

Does grammar and sentence structure turn you away from a book?

Should we not turn from other for speaking slang or jibberish when they get angry or upset.

2. MJFande profile image67
    MJFandeposted 7 years ago

It depends on how good the story is.
    I'm a member of FanStory.com, which is an excellent website for writers. Some of the quality of the writing does turn me away from reading more of that writer's work, but if the story is interesting enough, I'll keep reading.
    I just read the first chapter of a book that someone is working on and it needed a lot of help grammar and punctuation wise, but it was so good that I can't wait until the next chapter is posted for me to read.

3. profile image0
    Chasukposted 7 years ago

Definitely.

A good story is like a good intention. Everybody has at least one. Imagine eating a meal prepared by a cook who had intended to blow your gastronomic mind, but burnt the soup, added too much salt to everything, and used moldy, unwashed strawberries in the desert. Good intentions wouldn't salvage the meal.

4. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Only bad grammar and sentence structure.  I can't get into a story if I'm having to sort out what the author means.  These problems are usually sorted out by the sub editor, if the story ever gets to one for publication.
    Tales are full of characters, the language of each of these characters is dependant on their skill in language use, the problem only arises in narrative, which has to be correct.

5. Eric Calderwood profile image85
    Eric Calderwoodposted 7 years ago

It does, but if the story is interesting enough I'll keep reading.  I usually come across these errors in self-published books.

6. profile image51
    meghancsmithnjposted 7 years ago

I believe that it depends on its use. For instance, if an author uses slang or jibberish to use voice when writing, this gives a character personality and is a very effective tool. Yet, if an author uses slang/jibberish when writing constantly, I would have to wonder how they even became a published author in the first place. (That is, of course, if you are referring to published works.)

7. wingedcentaur profile image85
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Good Day Luke0812

I'm not the grammar police. I like a story to flow well. I like to have the feeling that the author knows what she is doing with words - whatever she chooses to do with them. The writers I enjoy the most are those who seem to be verbal stylists like Mario Puzo, John Grisham, Elmore Leonard, Phillip Roth, and Phillip K. DIck.

Their artistry comes from the very way they put words on the page. All fiction writers are not like this. Reading their stuff is too much like work, so I usually don't get through it. They don't bother with style.

8. R.Cochran profile image82
    R.Cochranposted 7 years ago

Samuel Clemens AKA Mark Twain was one of the best selling authors of all time. When I ask my English teacher about his grammar, I was told it was because of the fact the he wrote in dialect used at the time.Big frickin deal. The stories were good, and that was all that counted to me. To the grammar police and the anal judgmental people who think they are above it all go read Shakespeare in it's original form. You deserve each other.

working