jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do you walk into a street or onto a street? Any idea which is proper grammar, o

1. kookoo88 profile image60
    kookoo88posted 7 years ago

Do you walk into a street or onto a street?  Any idea which is proper grammar, or do you have...

2. Uninvited Writer profile image85
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

You walk onto a street, if you walked into a street you would be going underground.

Of course, I have heard the line running into the street which is usually used when someone runs onto the road.

3. Wayne Tilden profile image58
    Wayne Tildenposted 7 years ago

I believe the safer thing to do is to walk onto the street. One doesn't stand by the curb and watch to see if their child walks ONTO the street.

It's much more likely that you'd be more concerned if your child walked INTO the street.

4. Otto23 profile image56
    Otto23posted 7 years ago

You would be walking onto a street. To be walking "into a street" would imply that you're going into the concrete/ground itself.

1. profile image48
      alimuratposted 5 years agoin reply to this

what if water comes onto the street, will that be again onto or into the street?

5. Moms-Secret profile image82
    Moms-Secretposted 6 years ago

Like most grammar, I believe that it would depend on the way it is being used.

Are you throwing your self into the street, as in into on-coming traffic?  Throwing yourself onto the street implies that you are dropping your body on the ground.

Are you taking your first step onto the street?  It fits perfectly into this singular phrase. 
    Defining a location and making it plural changes it again!  I am taking my first step into the streets of Harlem.

That is the fun/frustrating part about language.