jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you use the possessive apostrophe after Alex? Alex's or Alex'?

1. profile image49
    Goodkattposted 7 years ago

How do you use the possessive apostrophe after Alex? Alex's or Alex'?

I recall in school learning that if a proper name ends in an S or in the sound of an S like in Alex, put the apostrophe after the last letter. Is this correct?

2. diogenes profile image70
    diogenesposted 7 years ago

Yes, the rule is correct, but I don't think "Alex" has an "s" or a "z" sound at the end.  It is a "cks" sound, or "ex" sound.   Therefore, it would be  Alex's pen, or Alex's answer.
    Now there are exceptions for ancient names and for owner preference...but I don't want to confuse you...Bob

3. MBAdomaitis profile image76
    MBAdomaitisposted 5 years ago

Bob is right... if the word ends in S or Z, then yes, you just add an apostrophe.. Alex would be Alex's. Hope this helps.

4. profile image57
    Bana Rougui thamposted 10 months ago

No because Alex is not ending of S it ending of X

5. Guckenberger profile image86
    Guckenbergerposted 3 months ago

My name is Alex, and I generally will write "Alex's".

6. verdict profile image91
    verdictposted 3 months ago

It's Alex's.
    However, for names already ending in s, such as Doris and Phyllis, you have the choice of writing Doris' or Doris's.

7. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 3 weeks ago

I worked with two former English teachers who kept us up-to-date on English grammar and punctuation rules. I don't like the new rules, but they are to always place "apostrophe s" after a word that ends in s. In fact my state passed a law that we had to follow this rule when we were making Arkansas possessive in drafting and editing our state's laws. It is now officially "Arkansas's".

I tell this because the new rules would also automatically place apostrophe s after Alex to make it Alex's.