jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What's a good way to get your name out there in the writing world?

1. netslums profile image84
    netslumsposted 7 years ago

What's a good way to get your name out there in the writing world?

I have been thinking about writing and posting some short stories here on Hubpages (along with some other sites). Is this a good plan? Or are there better ways to getting noticed?

2. profile image0
    mewlhouseposted 7 years ago

Depends what your intentions are. If you want to be a famous and well-respected writer you must first write the stories, honing them to be the most powerful in the world. Continuing to do that and then posting them on Hubpages is honorable, and certainly more indicative to the nature of the serious artist. If on the other hand you simply want to be noticed then spout out some stuff and spread it all over the internet. There are plenty of these types out there. Another good way to get your name out there is to schmooze and do some serious networking. Get yourself some writer garb and hit the literary readings on your area. Act like a writer and try to be good-looking. That has worked for many others as well. Publish as much crap as you can in every litmag out there, hard copy or digital, it doesn't seem to matter as long as they keep publishing you. Join the herd and rub each others backs.  I could go on and on. My wish for you is that you do not write a word unless you are willing to do the work first of being a great writer. There is already way too much bad-writing in the world.

3. Right On Time profile image62
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

THis is one way, and then place the link in your CV and email/drop off/send this CV to your local newspaper, community newspapers/newsletters etc. Wait till you get lots of views though.

4. netslums profile image84
    netslumsposted 7 years ago

mewlhouse - Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll partake in your first recommendation. I am not one for schmoozing, plus i believe the practice is something that's currently unsuitable for me, considering i haven't written much. My reason for asking was that I came up with an idea for a series of short stories that all contribute to an overarching story. I just want to make sure that Hubpages is a respected outlet to publish these shorts. Also, I glanced over your hubs, and i have to say, you're a damn good writer. I think you may have inspired me to work harder towards this goal. smile

5. profile image0
    jof155posted 7 years ago

Market yourself better and if possible consult or get professional help from established agents in the profession.

6. Christopher Floyd profile image60
    Christopher Floydposted 7 years ago

Definitely a good plan. Just don't quit and don't rely entirely on Hubpages.

working