How can I instruct seventh graders to not capitalize mid sentence or midword?

1. profile image48
    litcoachposted 7 years ago

How can I instruct seventh graders to not capitalize mid sentence or midword?

There are some students struggling with using capitalization in inappropriate places.

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I don't know what age 7th graders are, I used to teach special needs children in the 9 - 11 age group, and advanced pupils in the same age group.  I always found, with both groups, that a good way to treat this problem, well, lots of other problems as well, is to take the line:
    'that's good, (name), let's have a look at how we can make it excellent, if we...'
    That shows the child that you're not hung up over the error and that it can be put right and the work looks better for it.
    Contrary to popular belief amongst educationalists, kids care if they get it wrong.  They would rather have a teacher show them how to do it correctly, than have one of their peers tell them and make fun of them.

3. Rusty C. Adore profile image95
    Rusty C. Adoreposted 7 years ago

When I was in school we had to correct sentences. The teacher would put a list of sentences on the board with mistakes in them and then we had to go up and correct them and then she would ask us why we did what we did to the sentence. If we were right then we were congratulated and if we were wrong she explained why it was a common mistake that people make. If you don't want to put the kids on the spot like that you could create a work sheet with sentence filled with errors and give it to them as an activity instead.

working