jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Do you think books are always better then the movies that come after them?

1. tomsum profile image82
    tomsumposted 7 years ago

Do you think books are always better then the movies that come after them?

A lot of the big name movies use IP's from already written books. Which is better? For me personally, I think the Harry Potter books are better, but I enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies more then the books.

2. profile image51
    mfwalden004posted 7 years ago

I would have to say yes, books are generally better than the movies that follow.  I think this is true because the books set a standard and a level of expectation that the movies rarely ever meet up to.

If the movie came out first, would it be better than the book?

3. To Start Again profile image78
    To Start Againposted 7 years ago

Oooh...that's a toughie. Sometimes, yes, the books are better but sometimes the movies do a pretty good job. The movie Great Expectations, for example, was a terrible depiction of the book. The film Ordinary People, however, was an excellent adaptation. I think it depends a lot on how well the directors/screen writers follow the storyline in the book. Its ok to tweek but changing too much can be catastrophic. I might have to make a hub out of this one...good question smile

4. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Generally, yes, although I much preferred the film Dune to the book, which for me was unreadable, even after several attempts, I couldn't get past the first page.
    Can't agree with you for the HP films, books much better.  Maybe, maybe not for Tolkien.

5. Sarah Masson profile image68
    Sarah Massonposted 7 years ago

I think that most books are better than the movie but I tried to read A Walk To Remember and The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks and didn't get far in either of them but I adored both of the movies

6. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 7 years ago

It's rare for the movie version to be better but it does happen. I would say that interview with the vampire was pretty equal with the book and even though I hate Twilight in all its forms, the movie was better than the book because parts the author glossed over were shown on the screen.

7. lilibees profile image60
    lilibeesposted 7 years ago

From the movies I have seen that have come after the book, the book has always been way better!

8. sonia05 profile image61
    sonia05posted 7 years ago

anytime....books are much much better than movies! Books are elaborate and one weaves ones own imagination to perceive things whereas a movie is the directors imagination!

9. philirodje profile image60
    philirodjeposted 7 years ago

It depends, some movies are better than the books before them and sometimes the books are better than the movies that come after them.

10. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 7 years ago

Books are more detailed whereas movies leave a lot of things out that you read in the book. I always try to read the book first and then I do my comparison but if I like the book, I'll like the movie, it all depends.

11. Peter Allison profile image74
    Peter Allisonposted 7 years ago

I like the book medium MUCH better, but there are so many movies adapted from books - in fact a lot of great movies adapted from so-so books - I mean, wasn't Raging Bull based upon a biography of Jake La Motta? If that movie isn't as good as the book, I gotta read that book. That said, my favorite books - On The Road, Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy (which includes All The Pretty Horses), and yes, Tolkien's novels are all better than their movie adaptations in my opinion. As rich as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies were, they can't compare to the hold the books held over me as a youngster - a memory I feel strongly even today.

working