jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is emo?

1. phillip goodson profile image61
    phillip goodsonposted 7 years ago

What is emo?

2. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 7 years ago

I would say a person that feels a lot, very sensitive to it's surroundings, artistic, expressive, aware of other peoples emotions and feelings besides their own.

3. zoey24 profile image76
    zoey24posted 7 years ago

An emotional child/teen. My niece went through a stage of calling herself a emo, and it all seemed like a typical faze, she had blonde streaks put in her hair and what she informed me was a emo haircut. But i got very concerned when she told me one day that some of her emo friends was cutting themselves. I passed on the information to my sister and she got in touch with my Nieces school to inform them of the children in question.

4. DonDWest profile image61
    DonDWestposted 7 years ago

I would define emo as a person who is a drama king/queen.

5. selene383 profile image60
    selene383posted 7 years ago

I would have to agree with HattieMattieMae on this one. They usually are intouch with their emotions and those of the people around them. However, i have a friend that cuts himself, and that has absolutley nothin to do with emo. People who cut themselves have other problems, probably at home.

6. Syrusv37 profile image89
    Syrusv37posted 7 years ago

Ok everyone seems to get this wrong and it frustrates me at times. Emo does and always has stood for emotive. It does not mean emotional, but instead ties in with the concept of emotion, the ability to feel. Many emo teens and adults have a creative side to them, a stranger fashion sense, a different way of viewing the world. Many emos ARE emotional because no one gets them, they may have problems, they may cut or do dumb things, but this DOES NOT DEFINE THEM. I hate when people assume all emos cut themselves or are emotional. Not true. I suggest people who think this, do some research and find out for yourself.

7. maria.rose profile image35
    maria.roseposted 7 years ago

Emo has two different meanings. One is a style of music. The other is a label people use to describe a group. The group of teens that use the label say that emo is (short for emotional) , but the term originally came from the Indie music style called Emotive Hardcore. It is a sub-genre of punk.