jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

I've seen both spellings, but which is correct, accoustic or acoustic?

1. tritrain profile image86
    tritrainposted 7 years ago

I've seen both spellings, but which is correct, accoustic or acoustic?

2. IzzyM profile image89
    IzzyMposted 7 years ago

acoustic. Not an expert or anything, but I fail to see why there should be two cc's.

3. Davorunner profile image81
    Davorunnerposted 7 years ago

Acoustic. Double 'c' is for words like "accelerate" when you're saying "AC" and "celerate" hence using the sound twice (well two different sounds coming from the same letter) When you say it out loud, you can clearly hear that "acoustic" only needs one letter

4. kcreery profile image61
    kcreeryposted 7 years ago

I've only seen acoustic.  Accoustic must be a spelling error.

5. Rooskaya profile image47
    Rooskayaposted 7 years ago

Both are correct but acoustic is more often used than accoustic.

6. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 7 years ago

There's only one correct way to spell 'acoustic'. Like that. Single 'c'.

However, while not wishing to be a smartass, I must add that Davorunner is incorrect in asserting that double 'c' is (always) for words where one is the hard 'c', and the other, the soft 'c'. Like 'accelerate'.

To illustrate, I've written a short story: "Although painfully shy, Cedric was an accomplished singer, whose guitar was much more than a mere accoutrement; accompanying him wherever he went. He found it helpful not only in enabling him to gain more rapid acceptance from girls he would have been too shy to speak to; when instead he sang to them, accompanied by his ever-present accompaniment, the guitar, but also as a powerful accelerant in the process of sweeping them off their feet, and thus enamoured, accommodating his every desire, and acceding to his every whim. Occasionally, one of Cedric's conquests would become somewhat accusatory in the early light of dawn, but more often he would depart their accommodation to the sounds of acclamation. Cedric was never surprised, he was a very accomplished lover,and it was no accident that he became totally acclimatised to the role as the years went by...

7. profile image57
    TajSinghposted 7 years ago

If you are referring to music instruments that produces sound without the use of electricity or electronics, then the correct spelling is "acoustic".

8. JaydeScott profile image54
    JaydeScottposted 7 years ago

The right spelling would be acoustic as provided in various dictionaries.

9. sir_tallest profile image65
    sir_tallestposted 7 years ago

well the dictionary should have solved this question but since it's asked.....i guess it should be AC

working