jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why tell us to write what we want if you are going to restrict us? I wrote about

1. jvhamby5 profile image58
    jvhamby5posted 6 years ago

Why tell us to write what we want if you are going to restrict us? I wrote about my Lawyer??

Why is there a rule of being over promotional if it brings the reader to a great resource. My most recent hub was picked on for this. I feel I was giving value to the locality I was writing about. After all Hub Pages tells you to write about anything you want read???

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

HubPages does encourage you to write about anything you want.  However, the website also needs to have its pages abide by certain rules in order not only survive but thrive and flourish in the fiercely competitive environment of the Internet.

Obviously, I don't know the specific content of your "picked on" Hub, but since you say you wrote "about" your lawyer, I'm going to take a wild guess.  Sounds like one of two possibilities--either the lawyer is (in your eyes) a really good one, or a really bad one.

1.  If you're praising him to the skies and then telling readers who he is and where to find him, it would definitely count as "over promotional".  If, on the other hand, he garnered the praise but was not named or otherwise identified per se, it would not.

2.  If, on the other hand, you've learned to detest him, the Hub might have come out as a personal attack on the man--which is specifically prohibited in the HubPages guidelines.

Any commercial site like HP has to live or die by the whims of advertisers.  The way management can best sell those folks is by showing them that what we have here is the best platform out there to promote THEIR products. 

Don't get me wrong.  I've had Hubs tagged for various problems, including one (JUST one, thankfully) for "personal attack".  I disagreed that the "offending paragraph" truly qualified as such--BUT I could see the team's point.  So I simply cleaned up the page, resubmitted for publication, and went from there.

Just saying.

3. jvhamby5 profile image58
    jvhamby5posted 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply! My Lawyer is a well earned friend and I added 3 links to his website and used long tail key word geo tags. Is that so wrong?

4. Glenn Stok profile image99
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

jvhamby5, more than two links to the same web site is overly promotional as stated in the terms of service. Click the "learning center" link at the bottom of any page to read the rules. They are there to help all of us survive, especially with the new Google Panda updates.

working