jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is anyone else out there reading memoirs of USMC personnel in Iraq and Afghanist

1. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

Is anyone else out there reading memoirs of USMC personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan?

2. JamesMcAlhanyJr profile image58
    JamesMcAlhanyJrposted 6 years ago

I have not yet read one, but I have looked at some of them online and a couple in the bookstore. I have a hard time buying them unless I know the story is from an enlisted man that was actually in the thick of it. I can't stand officers political, strategy, and leadership nonsense. I am more curious about what the grunts are up to.

I take that back I am always up for a goody air assault story.

3. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

@James I've read a few so far: Beyond Duty, by Capt. Shannon Meehan; One Bullet Away, by Capt. Nate Fick (Generation Kill is based on his unit); and Hesitation Kills, by Maj. Jane Blair.  These are all front line stories: Capt. Meehan was medically discharged due to injuries from an IED; Capt. Fick  was in command of a USMC Force Recon unit; and Maj. Blair was one of the few females pushing with the front line units and directing UAV fire.  All very good reads.

4. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I can't stand to read any American military accounts more recent than Vietnam. I read several while i was still in the military, but very seldom was anything like my own experience expressed in them...except maybe Generation Kill. Honestly, it just reminds me that we are still over there and I get angry. I did my time, so now I just protest in the street when I can...and ignore it the rest of the time. Semper Fi.

working