jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

When are pen names good?

1. Shon Stallgraves profile image65
    Shon Stallgravesposted 6 years ago

When are pen names good?

Is it wise to write one book with a pen name and then use the same pen name to write another book that is very far away from the topic you want really do want to be associated with?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

When you are too scared to be who you are and use your real name - pen names are good!  LOLOLOL!!!!!!

No - I'm sure that some people have REALLY GOOD reasons for pen names.

3. profile image0
    Hanilolposted 6 years ago

There is nothing wrong with using one always on anything that you create, it adds mystery. :>}

4. Jennifer Grana profile image62
    Jennifer Granaposted 6 years ago

I believe Pen names are if your writing self is much different than your real self and you won't dare say with your real self what your writing self says. I hope that makes sense. I would use a pen name if your writing with an alter ego. OR if you are a ghost writer writing as a guy when you are a girl for instance.

5. Dewan Aneel Rathi profile image56
    Dewan Aneel Rathiposted 6 years ago

I always use Picasso Pen for all write university work.

6. FloraBreenRobison profile image58
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

Pen names are often used when the author writes in multiple genres  so that readers can *distinguish* between them. Agatha Christie wrote her romance novels under the name Mary Westmacott.
    As well, sometimes the writer's name just doesn't fit into what society expects for a writer of a particular genre-for example, men do not write romance novels. Actually they do. But a man's name on a harlequin romance won't sell. So you might  write a romantic novel under a pen name if you are a man. 

But you're right about another reason why people use pen names for separate genres. Sometimes the writer is famous  as being a "serious" author-but he also writes "popular fiction."  For example, Danial day Lewis's father is a poet lauriet (unsure of spelling). This is a high post. It is not appropriate  for the main poet of a country to be writing (gasp!) detective novels-so he uses the pen name of Nicholas Blake.
    The opposite could be true as well. A writer may start out as a pop fiction writer to make money but wants to be taken as a serious writer. A pen name might be necessary so that the public doesn't roll their eyes when they hear the news.

7. justom profile image68
    justomposted 6 years ago

The only time they're good are when you can't find a pencil. Be honest or don't pretend to be a writer!!

8. seicheprey profile image59
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

I don't know, I assumed when I was younger that it was because people had last names like my own, which are a little intimidating to most people.smile

9. Shon Stallgraves profile image65
    Shon Stallgravesposted 6 years ago

Thanks to those that answered my question with examples, that helped out a lot.

working