Should you use a pen name for your writing?

1. BethFairweather profile image87
    BethFairweatherposted 4 weeks ago

What are your thoughts on this?  I do use a pen name and I'm really torn about it.  On the one hand it's convenient so that my private/public life are kept separate and I find I don't have to censor myself while writing.  On the other hand, I sometimes wonder if I am not cheating myself by not using my real name on things I am very proud of.  Thoughts?

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

You can do both. Famous authors have. Joanne Rowling used J. K. Rowling and Robert Galbraith. You can even have both here at HP. You can have two accounts.

2. elnavann profile image89
    elnavannposted 4 weeks ago

I am struggling with the same choice for the same reasons - keeping private and public life separate and putting down my honest thoughts.  If one would write a blog critical of society, it would be scary to write your own name - but at the same time somehow dishonest since people would not really know what your credibility is.  I also indulge in subjects like philosophy and poetry and would not necessarily like everybody to know all that about me.  I suppose the answer is to have more than one platform

working