jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Which writer would you rather be?

1. jcoop profile image58
    jcoopposted 6 years ago

Which writer would you rather be?

Would you rather be a rich and famous writer who is read only while alive and relevant (Stephanie Meyer) or an unknown writer while alive who has been accepted into the canon after death and will be read for hundreds of years (Emily Dickinson)?

2. jjackson786 profile image95
    jjackson786posted 6 years ago

I would most definitely prefer to be Emily Dickinson. Meyer's material appeals to certain subgroups of the populace, but Dickinson is sought after by people of all ages. She is poignant and classy, and will forever remain so.

3. anupma profile image79
    anupmaposted 6 years ago

Ya of course the later one........ As I know about Emily Dickinson, she wrote it because in her age, women did not reveal their identity as it was supposed a bad occupation for women. Even they did not enjoy any right, they were not allowed to be educated. So in her era it was a very tough task for them to write. .... But now time has changed. Women are getting equal chances. There is no area that is untouched by women. So I want that my works should be read with my after years and years.
    One more thing, I am writing what I am getting from your points. May be you are just asking a simple question which type of writer you want to? Even then I will select the later one,

4. J Burgraff profile image74
    J Burgraffposted 6 years ago

Can I please be both?  Or perhaps aspire to be Emily but make a little bit of Stephanie's income so I have more time to become like Emily?  I know that's kind of like having three wishes and using one of those to wish for more wishes, but just can't help myself.

5. profile image0
    Textured Ideasposted 6 years ago

Hmm great question! For me, I consider revenue as a secondary achievement to recognition. Having your words read for hundreds of years would mean you've made a vital impact upon society rather than following a current trend, so yes the later one! Although yes, it definitely would be nice to have a mixture of both and make lots of money and actually know that people appreciated your work. It's kind of a tragic conundrum to ever know if you will be appreciated after your death!