jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How many of us understand the fallacies in our own writing?

1. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

How many of us understand the fallacies in our own writing?

Writing seems to cover many different styles and thought processes that are sometimes valid and sometimes invalid.  I was reading in the forums, for amusement and was not terribly surprised over the number of fallacies that are written there.  I am curious how many other hubbers consider and look for fallacies in their own writing?

2. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

Because I teach writing, I try to be aware of my own errors even in emails, questions or forum posts.  However, I'm also a very fast typer, so I do frequently find I have made mistakes due to typing errors.  Even though I'm an instructor in writing, I think that we need to give people a little leeway on informal writing.  I don't correct the grammar on my student's emails.  However, when they are emailing me to try to convince me to raise their grade, I am always amused when they have several spelling or grammar errors in the email!

3. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

Your perspective is a comfort, VirginiaLynne! 
    I try to pay attention to what I do know, but oh me, there's so much I don't know.  Following people who do know is fabulous help.  smile

4. Nils Visser profile image82
    Nils Visserposted 6 years ago

I often include stylistic fallacies on purpose, I know what to avoid in order to reach proper objectiveness in non-fiction, but prefer to allow the subjective to creep in.