jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Writers: Do you find Hubpages helpful or disruptive of your own writing?

1. jj200 profile image78
    jj200posted 7 years ago

Writers: Do you find Hubpages helpful or disruptive of your own writing?

Some people get inspiration and motivation spending time on Hubpages. They thrive on hearing other's writing and conversing about their own.
    Others have to immerse themselves in their writing and avoid any kind of distractions in order to create quality work. Being part of the community, hubbing, etc. can interfere with their "creative process" and use valuable time and brainpower that could be spent on their writing. Where do you fall?

2. WA Christopher J. profile image74
    WA Christopher J.posted 7 years ago

Mostly disruptive. Though, if I limit myself to one or two pertinent articles/stories, I can still be productive. Beyond that, any extra energy I can use to concentrate on writing is a luxury.

3. kgnature profile image57
    kgnatureposted 7 years ago

For the most part I have it under control smile

Writing hubs is a fun outlet for things I want to do that don't meet the strict guidelines of my paid work.  Sometimes I feel like my creative processes are strangled by having to write about things I'm not really interested in or in a voice and style that isn't my choosing. 

Hubhopping and Answers gives me a diversion when I'm stuck and I can come back to my assignments with a fresh attitude.

4. RevLady profile image62
    RevLadyposted 7 years ago

Actually, you described me exactly. I get inspiration and motivation spending time on Hubpages. I thrive on reading others writings and getting feedback on my own. Over time relationships develop which I think is marvelous. 

Forever His,

5. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 7 years ago

I find it great.It's a good place to express your
    views and say a few things.And it have a lot of ways to
    get your work to the public.

6. jj200 profile image78
    jj200posted 7 years ago

Jack, yes it's a really cool site, I'm glad I found it!

Christopher, it's good to moderate yourself, it's all too easy to spend hours reading, writing and interacting here.

kgnature, good point, it is nice to have another outlet for your writing, that's why I joined in the first place: as a way to keep those creative muscles in shape!

RevLady, I think I might have subconsciously stole that description from the Hubpages welcome info, haha.

Personally, I like the networking and sharing. I love to read, so hearing what others have written is great. I do find it distracting though, because sometimes I get caught up in it all and the day goes by without any work on my real writing. But, then again, I have attentional problems to begin with, so...

7. pinkboxer profile image60
    pinkboxerposted 7 years ago

Hubpages has been critical in my ongoing development as a writer. The encouragement and support of the Hubpages team and other Hubbers has been invaluable. Writing and tapping into the " creative process " along with other writers is key. Being part of the community each day gives me the courage to keep writing and improving. Writing is therapeutic for me, and on Hubpages I can express my voice and heal at the same time. Hopefully, other Hubbers are doing the same.

8. CarolineChicago profile image82
    CarolineChicagoposted 7 years ago

I find hub and blog sites very inspirational for my personal writing and blogging--but a huge distraction when trying to get my paid freelance work done. I try to limit my time on Hub, blogs, etc. to the morning with my coffee (in lieu of the morning paper) and later at night (personal time).

9. quildon profile image77
    quildonposted 7 years ago

I like being part of the Hub community for the interaction it brings and I also get to learn about a variety of topics, however for someone who has very limited time for writing, I find myself having to do either ... or, and that can be frustrating at times.

working