jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you show the passing of time in a novel or short story without being awkw

1. jcoop profile image58
    jcoopposted 6 years ago

How do you show the passing of time in a novel or short story without being awkward?

2. Dobson profile image79
    Dobsonposted 6 years ago

This can be a challenging task. The current project I am sharing on Hub Pages covers a fortnight, but so far much of my plot has happened in a few days. I am going to have to be creative moving along toward the end, when the bulk of my plot elements play out.

I find short stories more challenging, because you have so much less room to work. It is a matter of narrowing your plot so that you can easily cover the major events in a flowing manner.

3. Lord De Cross profile image82
    Lord De Crossposted 6 years ago

When we write scripts, we acommodate the word fast forward to, which I think I'm entitled to use in narrative.

4. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 6 years ago

Hi, I think the best way is to mention something that we would all notice, for example if your story is set in the summer to start with, to show time, maybe say something like, 'She noticed a chill in the air, winter was coming' or 'The leaves crunched beneath her feet, as she walked...' or even, she was sad, but seeing the beautiful red and gold of the leaves turning for winter, made her smile, okay?

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image58
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

I would start a new chapter in a novel. In a short story just leave a big space and say "Later that day, Michael realized ..."

6. Borsia profile image45
    Borsiaposted 6 years ago

It really depends on just how much time is supposed to have passed.
    You can mention certain traits about different characters.
    Mentioning something like a "5 O'Clock shadow" will jump a day, an added beard would signify months, a change in fashion could move you years, a hunched back could move you decades.
    I find it better not to use clock references unless you only want hours, minutes or seconds. But saying the clock went round and round give the impression that your character has nothing better to do than stare at a clock.