jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When is the appropriate time to use passive sentences?

1. Loi-Renee profile image80
    Loi-Reneeposted 6 years ago

When is the appropriate time to use passive sentences?

2. Victoria Lynn profile image91
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

One good example is to avoid blame, or at least to lessen the obviousness of it. For examples, someone might say, "Mistakes were made" instead of "I made a mistake."

Also, the passive voice could be used to take the focus off the subject and onto what is more important.

Example: "Every student was given a chance to improve his or her grade."  That's passive. Active would be "The teacher gave every student a chance to improve his or her grade." The point is that every student got a chance. Using the active voice with "the teacher" puts the focus back on the teacher and how great it is that he or she gave the students a chance, when what we really want to focus on is that they got the chance, regardless of who gave it to them.   

Did I explain that okay?

3. samanthamayer profile image71
    samanthamayerposted 6 years ago

Good answer, Victoria. I wouldn't have thought of some of those.

Otherwise, when you learn a different language you usually learn more about grammar in English. So basically, the time I came across the passive the most when studying Spanish was when describing historical facts, etc. E.g. "fue construida en..." means "It was constructed in...". This example is a bit specific, I realize. Tour guides for sight-seeing buses and museums would use it a lot, if you can imagine.

4. Loi-Renee profile image80
    Loi-Reneeposted 6 years ago

Thank you Victoria. Yes your answer was very helpful.

working